• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hand tool for priming shotshells only?

gunsmoke0706

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
28   0
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am wanting to simply deprime and prime empty shotshell hulls for a 12 gauge. I do not want to fully load them, only reprime a spent shell over and over. This is basically for dog training purposes. I am only setup for loading rifles and pistols and do not wish to buy a press, etc..for loading shotgun shells....yet. Does anyone know if any handheld priming tool for SHOTSHELLS exists or how I can accomplish this without spending alot? I just want to deprime, seat a new primer and be done. I could probably get a shellholder and use with my single stage press I have somehow, but would prefer something hand held since it is portable. I have looked around and haven't found anything, but I am probably not looking in the right place. Thanks in advance for any direction.

Ever see one of the Lee "Kitchen Table" loading kits? If all you wish to do is deprime/reprime. Drill a hole in a 3/4" board a little larger than the primer. Place fired case over hole. Use a cheap 1/4" drift punch and mallet (or other suitable hammer) Gently strike the punch. To reprime. Finger start a primer in primer hole. Place on board (not over hole). Use a 5/8" dowel (or other suitable wooden punch) Press down with hand and seat the primer. And WA LA a primed case with minimum expense. :~}

Now that's even better. I can get started right away! I assume the 5/8 dowel is to be inserted into the empty shell on the inside looking down into it while the shell is sitting on the board..correct? I apply gentle pressure on the dowel top inside the shell with my hand to seat it? You described this very well, just trying to picture everything in my head. Thanks for the quick response and for saving me some dough.

Back
Top Bottom