Handguard longer than barrel question

Moondog1

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
183   0
Reaction score
So I'm picking up one of these...
wm_10554509.jpg
Can I run my suppressor direct threaded on there or will it be difficult with the threads partially recessed into the handguard?

Don't they make an extension/adapter/coupling?
Well I know a lot of people run their suppressors on a short barrel with the hand guard partially covering the suppressor. I didn't know if they are only using tri lug adapters or if direct thread is fine for that too.

I wouldn't think that it would be that hard so long as the inside dimension of the guard is larger than the suppressor. From the pics it looks like it will be tight. I put a flaming pig on one of mine and ended up scratching the hell out of it putting it on. There was 4 little ribs on the inside of the guard that I didn't see when I started putting it on. The didn't go all the way to the end. The started back in about a 1/4 inch so it started threading fine till it got to there. One of the ribs had a little bur on it that snagged the pig a little. I was able to file the bur off and put it on but it was tight. I don't think it's something I would want to do often with as tight as it was, I would probably bang it up more. I am kind of a bull in a china shop with thing though

I run a 9mm threaded can inside a handguard. It's threaded and easy to screw in/out. I have a different quick detach can for 300Bo that the handguard almost covers the muzzle brake / suppressor connector. It's a hassle to get on and off because of the locking mechanism. Couldn't do it if it were any deeper without cutting a hole in my handguard to unlatch the can.

I run a 9mm threaded can inside a handguard. It's threaded and easy to screw in/out. I have a different quick detach can for 300Bo that the handguard almost covers the muzzle brake / suppressor connector. It's a hassle to get on and off because of the locking mechanism. Couldn't do it if it were any deeper without cutting a hole in my handguard to unlatch the can.

My Seekins upper is like that. The end of the handguard halfway covers the teeth on my mount. I can get it on with no problem but taking it off I have to stick my thumb down in there to depress the latch and keep working it until its off.

OP as long as the ID diameter of the rail is larger than your can you should be good. I dont know of too many applications that use tri-lug aside from the MP5 or the Scorpion EVO, most ARs are going to have some sort of mount, some like the Dead Air and maybe the Saker I think are true one handed operations so tucking the can is easy since theres no latch or mechanism to press to remove it.

I originally had a setup (ar9) where the barrel was 4-5" recessed into the hand guard. Threading on was no problem. My issue was that when I tried to remove the suppressor the threaded mount unthreaded from the can and not the barrel.

On more than one occasion this happened and I needed to take off the hand guard to get the mount off. Ended up switching to a 3lug and have never looked back.

I bought the direct thread fitting for my obsidian before I got the can. That fitting does not come off a barrel without channel-locks, suppressor will just unthread from the fitting. I switched to using the spacer with the piston instead, haven’t used the direct thread since. I would not use the direct thread inside a hand guard.

I originally had a setup (ar9) where the barrel was 4-5" recessed into the hand guard. Threading on was no problem. My issue was that when I tried to remove the suppressor the threaded mount unthreaded from the can and not the barrel.

On more than one occasion this happened and I needed to take off the hand guard to get the mount off. Ended up switching to a 3lug and have never looked back.
This.
Everything to do with your mounting system. My direct thread likes to unscrew itself sometimes too

Back
Top Bottom