• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Handgun preferences changed or changing or is it my imagination

I don't disagree on that point, and as a result, most of the time I am carrying a 5 shot revolver.

But there are times when maybe I am going to a rougher part of town where I feel the danger might be higher(although still statistically remote) and I will pack a higher capacity gun... or if I am going to be away from the house for a longer period of time.

But for the most part, I carry a 5 shot stubby about 75% of the time and I don't feel like I am unprepared for the average SD situation...

There’s a lady in Loganville that put all five rounds of her snub nosed .38 into the head and neck of a home intruder. He finally asked her to stop shooting and turned and left. I’m guessing the loud ringing in his ears from the gunfire prevented him from hearing the click click click of the empty chambers as she kept squeezing.

A) He is still alive and well
B) Thank God there was only one bad guy
C) I can only assume she upgraded her gun and ammo.

There’s a lady in Loganville that put all five rounds of her snub nosed .38 into the head and neck of a home intruder. He finally asked her to stop shooting and turned and left. I’m guessing the loud ringing in his ears from the gunfire prevented him from hearing the click click click of the empty chambers as she kept squeezing.

We can all find that one freak situation if we look hard enough, to justify our purchases, I guess...

I'd be interested in knowing what type of bullet was used. I would assume she was shooting fmj's.

I'd be interested in knowing what type of bullet was used. I would assume she was shooting fmj's.

Even still... That's a freak occurrence and hardly the norm... Other people trip and fall and hit their head on a coffee table and died... Sonny Bono smacked his head on a tree while skiing and died...

People don't normally take 5 head shots at close range and walk away... LOL

Even still... That's a freak occurrence and hardly the norm... Other people trip and fall and hit their head on a coffee table and died... Sonny Bono smacked his head on a tree while skiing and died...

People don't normally take 5 head shots at close range and walk away... LOL

True, but fmj's make the story a lot more believable.

I don't disagree, but I think that your argument is why people are going back to 9mm.

9mm tends to have less recoil, so it's easier to shoot, faster follow up shots, etc. It also allows the gun to be smaller, making it easier to carry around all day. The best most powerful badass gun in the world is useless if it is so heavy that you leave it at home half the time...

With concealed carry gaining so much traction, people are looking for that balance between adequate firepower, decent ammo capacity, cost of ammo, easy concealability and good shooting characteristics...

Set aside our personal caliber biases, and if you were to make an objective list based on the above criteria, the 9mm would check more of those boxes than the others...

And I think that is why there is a major shift back to the 9...
I agree. I personally carry a G43 the majority of the time because I can pocket carry it with comfort. It's almost always on me if I'm dressed. In or out of the house, but I also carry two extra mags and have spent considerable time and effort practicing a fast reload. This is why I say the "best" weapon is a decision that each person should make for themselves... within limits. A two shot .22 mag derringer ain't going to do it.

I also keep much more potent weapons close by. Both in my home and my vehicle.

Define "best performance".

As has been stated, in the real world, the performance differences between 9mm, 40 and 45 are minimal. Anyone that thinks that in a SD situation that they could put 2 or 3 well placed shots from a 9mm and not take the person down, but that the same shots from a 45 would magically do it, are fooling themselves.

Any of the calibers will do their job if you do yours.
“Well placed”
Probably won’t happen. Motor skills got to crap when SHTF. Period.
You will do and say stuff you never thought you would. If you can hit 100% in hard and frequent training you “MIGHT” hit about 10% during SHTF.
I carry what I think will give me an edge in those “not so well placed” hits.

I would like a link to the police report or news article. Although I’d doubt the media account.
Frequent urban legend to point out the “dangers of FMJ

Back
Top Bottom