• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Handgun preferences changed or changing or is it my imagination

I like the 45 and am still convinced it is a better man stopper than the 9mm. Some say that modern ammunition has improved the performance of the 9mm and that's true, but the performance of the 45 has also improved, so it's still a better round. I have a high cap 45 (G41) as a nightstand gun.

With all that said, I carry one of two 9mm. They don't make a 45 small enough for a pocket pistol (G43) and I like the compact, but high cap G19 for carry at 4:00 when I wear a coat.

Me too.
20181215_194850.jpg

Worrying about which is a better man stopper, when our chances of having to stop a man is less than winning the lottery... and by better, we are talking like small differences... seems silly.

It’s like reading a motorcycle review of the new crop of sport bikes and they talk about how one is so much faster... meanwhile, the differences between the slowest and fasted bike, is less than a second per lap... and that’s with a pro racer, race slicks, tire warmers and ideal conditions... the reality is that in the real world, there’s no difference...

9mm is more than up to the task of getting the job done, and when you can carry more rounds and have easier follow up shots from less recoil, any nominal differences in terminal ballistics are all but negated, IMHO...

I got out of all my .45's some time ago. Still get tempted when I see a nice Ed Brown or something come up for sale — but the 1911 itch is mostly scratched with a V-bob in 9mm. So, for better or worse I'll stick with 9mm for now. It's a good performing round, and it's a little easier for me to control fast follow up shots than with .40 or .45. Probably easier on the bones too as those get older.
78B43864-BBD9-441E-B267-9978329253FC.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom