• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Handgun preferences changed or changing or is it my imagination

Both on paper and anecdotally from real-life shootings I've read about (not studied in depth), I think the .40 S&W is a better manstopper than a 9 x 19 mm.
But the difference is small if the 9 is loaded to +P velocities.

However, like so many other people, I sold my .40 and replaced it with a 9 mm.
Why? Because I like shooting for recreation more than I like having the deadliest caliber available for defense. If I'm going to be shooting a lot for practice, and in matches and competitions, I want my ammunition to be cheap and plentiful and mild on recoil so I can shoot faster.

So I'm part of this trend.
But not because I think the 9 mm is equal to the 40 or 45 --it's not!
I'm compromising, and giving up something to get other things.

NO! Only my choice is the right one! haha

I have carry guns in tons of calibers... But I do prefer 9mm for it's stopping power, roughly the same as a 45, and the fact that the same size gun can carry roughly double the rounds with less recoil. That's less spare mags to worry about, less having to stop and reload, etc... So when you look at the 2% difference in stopping power, but add back in the extra rounds and less reloads during use, the favor tips to the 9mm.

Of course you can carry a large heavy 45 to get the round count up... but I hate carrying a cinder block on my hip all day.

Besides, I carry a 5 shot revolver more often than not, so who cares what I think?

I don't even carry a firearm anymore, I carry a cinder block.
That is real world stopping power.

Back
Top Bottom