• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Handgun preferences changed or changing or is it my imagination

I’ve got everything from 17 to 500 handguns. I try not to show preferences to avoid offending any caliber or ethnic shooting group.

2to95z.jpg

Summary of my journey... started at 45ACP and probably never got the right gun and felt that I didn't shoot it well. Went to 40S&W and 9mm (and switched to Glock around that time). Found that I shot my G23 and G22 better than the G19 an G17, but consolidated to 9mm to keep things simple and the most economical. Recently made a great trade for a loaded FNX-45 Tactical, which I always wanted to try - around the same time I also traded into a Shield 45 - so I've begun stocking up on 45ACP again and will give it another go. I usually carry a G19 versus a Shield 9, but the Shield 45 seems to fit my hand better and only holds one less round per mag configuration, so I'll probably practice with that and if the accuracy and handling is there, then switch over to that for deep conceal days and the probably keep the G19 for regular EDC. I do miss me some fo-tay though. Just don't want to keep around so many different calibers. Between 22LR, 12ga, 9mm, 5.56/.223, 7.62/.308, 7.62x39, and now 45 ACP, I'm all outta room.

PS - I do agree that 9mm has evolved with better projectile design and technology, but so has 40 and 45, so I think, in the end, the argument is moot. Sure, shot placement and accuracy matter more, so they're probably relatively equivalent. But as someone already said, if it doesn't perform as designed, then I want a bigger projectile poking a bigger hole.

Summary of my journey... started at 45ACP and probably never got the right gun and felt that I didn't shoot it well. Went to 40S&W and 9mm (and switched to Glock around that time). Found that I shot my G23 and G22 better than the G19 an G17, but consolidated to 9mm to keep things simple and the most economical. Recently made a great trade for a loaded FNX-45 Tactical, which I always wanted to try - around the same time I also traded into a Shield 45 - so I've begun stocking up on 45ACP again and will give it another go. I usually carry a G19 versus a Shield 9, but the Shield 45 seems to fit my hand better and only holds one less round per mag configuration, so I'll probably practice with that and if the accuracy and handling is there, then switch over to that for deep conceal days and the probably keep the G19 for regular EDC. I do miss me some fo-tay though. Just don't want to keep around so many different calibers. Between 22LR, 12ga, 9mm, 5.56/.223, 7.62/.308, 7.62x39, and now 45 ACP, I'm all outta room.

Same here...

.22LR
12ga
.410ga
9mm
.45acp
.38 Special
.357 Mag
.44 Special
.44 Mag

I feel like I have too many as it is...

PS - I do agree that 9mm has evolved with better projectile design and technology, but so has 40 and 45, so I think, in the end, the argument is moot. Sure, shot placement and accuracy matter more, so they're probably relatively equivalent. But as someone already said, if it doesn't perform as designed, then I want a bigger projectile poking a bigger hole.

That's one of the reasons why I got a .44 Special for a concealed carry gun... 200gr gold dots make a nice big hole and expand up to near 3/4 of an inch even out of a short barrel...

Also, my preferred SD round is the federal HST, and I would argue that their 45ACP reg and +P are better performers than the 40S&W 165 and 180 gr, respectively. The 40 S&W start with a very very slight edge at the muzzle as far as energy, but has a more rapid drop-off over distance. The 45ACP in both loadings start virtually at the same muzzle energy and maintains that energy better. 9mm energy falls off even fast. The 9mm and 40S&W are more velocity dependent.

That's one of the reasons why I got a .44 Special for a concealed carry gun... 200gr gold dots make a nice big hole and expand up to near 3/4 of an inch even out of a short barrel...
Someone did a test of 230 g (+P) 45ACP HST into a pork shoulder and that puppy expanded to more than an inch :becky: Can't remember the barrel length, but tnoutdoors9 testing of that load in a 3.3" XDS yielded average chrono ratings pretty much identical to those of non +P specs, so should still get that performance profile out of a short barrel if using the +P round. Shield 45 has a 3.3" barrel as well.

9mm seems to be a better choice over 45. When it cones to stopping bad guys 9,40, and 45 do about the same. So why not carry a 9? You’ll have more rounds in same size guns.
Too me it’s not about accurate hits. Cause when SHTF you won’t be accurate unless you have been under life and death pressure enough to be familiar with the effects, or have a boat load of training, you probably won’t hit much. I want each hit to count as much as possible, if it’s not a CNS hit.

Back
Top Bottom