• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Handgun Self-Defense Ammunition - Ballistic Testing Data

Fantastic job on this. My only drawback is they left out .357 mag.

Being a ballistic test I realize they are going to penetration data, but I do wish they would also include foot pounds of energy. I always find foot pound energy to be of interest...I may have missed it, but I did not see it anywhere.

Overall, the data and work put into this is outstanding. Too much for me to absorb at one sitting.

I'm bookmarking this one.

will also say it made me happy all my 9mm is loaded with 124 +p golden sabers, they seemed to do quite well

Really interesting data. When I first got my carry license I started out using the Corbon Pow'rBall ammo... Man am I glad I switched.

The 45ACP data was really surprising, a lot of big name ammo that had spotty expansion results.

The test has great data that I will definitely reference when looking at carry ammo, but there is additional criteria you'll need before making a final decision.

For me the additional criteria I'll look at are, in order of importance:
1. Reliable in the weapon I will use it in
2. Flash retardant powder. I don't just go by the manufacturer's statement, I take it out and shoot it at night. There is no industry standard or specifications to meet to declare a load "flash retardant", so some companies' loads are much brighter than others.
3. Reasonably accurate in the weapon I will use it in.

Next time I get attacked with a block of gelatin in denim, I'm all set.
Darned cartilage and bone and whatnot.

Back
Top Bottom