• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

handgun shotshells

Last edited:
Look in the back of the speer manual it is there. They are finiky, they crack easy and you have to be carefull crimping, which is a must to keep them from creeping out of the case

I have some ideas but any advice I could give you on making your own would be purely experimental and possibly dangerous. I'm not sure how they would work out going through the forcing cone in a revolver and they darn sure wouldn't feed from a mag in an auto. I've done quite a bit of ammo tinkering but I better leave this one alone.

I use the Speer capsules that Tomthumb mentioned above in .44 Magnum and .38 Special loads. I busted quite a few of the capsules before I learned to get the crimp right. As said, if you crimp them too much they will break and if you don't crimp them enough, they will "creep" out of the brass and cause lockups in your revolver, don't ask me how I know!! I use lead shot from old 12 Gauge shotgun shells. The recipe for the loads are only in the newer Speer Manuals. They are fun to shoot but are sort of a pain to load.

Just be very careful. When shot charges are launched they compress and try to expand outward leading to higher pressures than a solid projectile of the same weight

Back
Top Bottom