• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Handloading for the .450 Bushmaster

Chuckdog

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
11   0
Reaction score
I've been loading for more than 25yrs, but have just recently got into the the 450. It's like a giant 45acp, as it headspaces off the case mouth. I've loaded the acp s' forever so the concept isn't new to me. What is new is loading these rounds at magnum velocity with magnum pistol/ shotgun powder which depends on a good crimp to get good start pressures for consistant performance. I loaded 45 win mags years ago, but it wasn't really a challenge. The challenge is of course getting a solid hold on these giants using a taper crimp while not affecting headspace. This is a great round, incredibly accurate. The reason I chose it over other big bore AR calibers is that I've loaded for .454 Casull and 45 Colt for years and the .450 uses .452 bullets, which I have a plethera of XTP and other bullets in stock and needing another outlet to shoot them in. You know what I mean, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it! I'm using Hornady dies and have been getting great results with the 300gr. XTPs' as well as the new Leverlution bullets in 200gr. load. Lil Gun has quickly became my favorite powder in the 450. I was just curious if any else on here has some experience and data they'd like to share. Thanks' in advance, Chuckdog

Back
Top Bottom