• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hard extraction on bolt gun

Sandybar

Default rank <750 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
80   2
Reaction score
I have a custom 6.5 cr bolt gun that I just had rebarreled with a proof stainless.
So forster time going to shoot it its shooting 1/4 moa amazing. But the rounds go in easy and bolt drops easy but i can barely rip the case our after firing. It did this from 40 g to 42 grains of powder. No signs of pressure.
But the neck of the case looks like it got marred or scratched upon removal. I'm using brand new lapua cases and hornady 140 bullets. I checked the bore with a scope and it looks clean. Not much fun to shoot when I have to rip the case our hard every time. I'm using a stiller tac 30 action.

Does the case "stick" any on extraction of an unfired round? Any damage evident at the neck when you try this?

Or, does it only stick after firing, then on the extraction of a spent case?

tenor.gif

Does the case "stick" any on extraction of an unfired round? Any damage evident at the neck when you try this?

Or, does it only stick after firing, then on the extraction of a spent case?
Only after fired rounds. If it's nit fired it comes out easy and goes in easy
Doesn't seem to Marr brass unless fired

Brownells has rifle chamber polishing flex home if you can get one size of neck on cartridge or use a cleaning rod in drill with a bore mop with silicone carbide abraisive compound and run at slow speed ! Use 180 to start with then 320 and finish up with 600 grit. Wash the compound out good after you finish and dont let the bore mop hit rifling. I’ve had some where chambers were rusty and this will clean them right up. Usually about 15 or 20 minutes.

Brownells has rifle chamber polishing flex home if you can get one size of neck on cartridge or use a cleaning rod in drill with a bore mop with silicone carbide abraisive compound and run at slow speed ! Use 180 to start with then 320 and finish up with 600 grit. Wash the compound out good after you finish and dont let the bore mop hit rifling. I’ve had some where chambers were rusty and this will clean them right up. Usually about 15 or 20 minutes.

He bought a custom barrel blank and had the work done to thread, fit and chamber it - and your solution is to have him fix it himself? I'm betting that if he's having to beat the bolt open, all the polishing in the world isn't going to fix the problem. Then again, we can only speculating without actual imagery of the fired brass.

You send it back to the place that did the shoddy chambering job and tell them to fix it. If you don't trust them to fix it, take it to a reputable place and have them report what the issue is and send them the bill.

Back
Top Bottom