• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hard primers running in pistols

MyRight

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
5   0
Reaction score
A friend of mine had issues with a batch of ammo he picked up running through his Glock. He was getting light strikes without ignition. I don't recall the brand, but I believe it was due to them having hard primers.

I found a decent deal on ammo with hard primers and wanted to learn what other people's experience has been running them through something like a Ruger American pistol, seeing as how they have a pre-tensioned striker system.

Thoughts?

https://shop.tactical****.com/hughes-precision-ar-9-subgun-brass-9mm-124gr

I would probably pass on this unless you are planning to run them in a rifle. There are a multitude of people here on ODT that are selling name brand 9mm ammo for ~$20-30 more than what this ammo would run you. I know $20 is not an amount to sneeze at, however that is a lot cheaper than $200 for a case of ammo you cannot shoot.

my guess is with the primer shortages that some places decided to use small rifle primers instead of small pistol primers. Dimensions are the same but there are some minor differences in the primers that could make it problematic in pistols.

Good for them to disclose that they are "harder primers" so you can make a choice. As others have said i'd probably reserve them for use in a PCC or something instead of wondering if I was going to have issues with the pistol. if you have a PCC or something with full power springs and such, you could always get them and see how it works in your specific gun.

Back
Top Bottom