• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

hard resizing 308

So I called around the local hardware stores for graphite and was more or less out of luck unless i wanted 3g tube. I did use y'all's advice and lubed the neck with Hornady unique lube, I don't like it for case lube and use the Hornady wax, and that did help out a lot; down side is now the cases need cleaning again. I guess I will order some fine graphite powder now and see if that works that way I wont have to clean the cases afterwards other than the normal wiping them down. I found a 12 oz can of micro fine graphite on amazon and I will give that a go; if it doesn't work then i can use it around the house.

I have graphite and have used it. It works well. But don't think you won't have to clean after using it. Your fingers will be covered with it, and the necks (and more) of your brass will also be. Both sizing lube and graphite will work. Either way, I would run it through the tumbler again.
If you want to avoid the lube, Lee collet neck size dies work well. They also help brass last longer, and less stretching. (For applications that don't require FL sizing).
Dan

I had this problem with a redding FL 308 die a few years ago. After inspection of the die I saw the decapping rod was way off center so when pulling the brass out of the die it was hitting on one side of the die a lot harder than the other side. It basically looked like the decapping rod was bent.I returned the die to Redding for inspection and they said the decapping rod was not bent and there was no way to get the decapping rod concentric with the inside body of the die and that it was within there tolerance.I told the guy that you could see it with your eye how far off it was and he agreed but it was within there spec's and he was not going to replace it. I told him to throw the die in the trash and that they have just lost my business for good. I have alottttt of dies and have never seen one like this before.

I had this problem with a redding FL 308 die a few years ago. After inspection of the die I saw the decapping rod was way off center so when pulling the brass out of the die it was hitting on one side of the die a lot harder than the other side. It basically looked like the decapping rod was bent.I returned the die to Redding for inspection and they said the decapping rod was not bent and there was no way to get the decapping rod concentric with the inside body of the die and that it was within there tolerance.I told the guy that you could see it with your eye how far off it was and he agreed but it was within there spec's and he was not going to replace it. I told him to throw the die in the trash and that they have just lost my business for good. I have alottttt of dies and have never seen one like this before.

I still have mine if you miss yours. Helps me to remember not to buy more of their crap.

i sometimes use a lee collet neck die in conjunction with a redding body to FL resize my match .308 brass for concentricity. the collet die doesn't overwork the necks, the body die is set to bump .002" or use a bushing die for the necks, but you would need to turn the necks for max concentricity.

I'll be honest.....I lube all the insides of the case necks when I resize rifle brass. It drags to much otherwise. Just loaded 30-30 over the weekend and I hit about every second or third case inside the neck with the qTip. Imperial is the way to go.

I just thought it odd that this only happens with 308. I bought the el cheapo Hornady dies just to run range pick up brass through for my fal and that was difficult, but not as bad as this Redding, but the expander ball look like it had been polished with 36 grit sand paper. I will look at the die concentricity and see what looks like. I only bought Redding because Forster was out of stock everywhere at the time. I probably will just start buying Whidden and supporting a local company from here on out.

I had a similar problem when my press was not mounted securely to a heavy-enough table. I was very frustrated until I got a much heavier bench and a rock-solid mount. The press could handle the leverage, but only when it didn't move around.

Back
Top Bottom