• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hard to watch them grow up

Edog537

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
110   0
Reaction score
My oldest son will be 12 in August. I realized the other day he does not need or want me around with his buddies. He recently received his Arrow of Light and crossed over to a Boy Scout Troop. His first camping trip with the Troop is this weekend. He asked me to not attend. I know it is natural but it is hard to let him become independent in certain areas. I am basically talking Mom off the ledge. We have been together for every milestone in his life thus far. Any advice to help us through this time?

It doesn't get any easier, you just learn to deal with it. Mine became independent at 11, end of childhood. Now's when he needs your guidance more than ever to teach him to be good and honorable man

Sounds like you're doing a good job. Be proud that he wants his independence.

When my oldest was 14, my wife and youngest were out of town 1 weekend so the 2 of us went fishing that Saturday and had a great day. On the way home, I told him about a little lake I knew about and we should try it out the next day. He hesitated and then told me he was gonna hang out with his buds that day. It must have been dusty in my truck when he told me because my eyes got watery.

Now that he's older,he's 17, we fish about every weekend. I don't care how old they get, they still need dad. My dad died 10 years ago and I leaned on him often.

IMG_0849.JPG

Back
Top Bottom