• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Has anybody

Years ago ; finished early on a Friday on the way home stopped to get gas and then my Camaro would not start I borrowed a screwdriver from attendant and started car. drove strait to K-mart parked with left tire on curb, purchased a tywanski tool set pulled starter and pulled apart solenoid flipped diagram and connecters in its cap and reinstalled them on engine, parked the car properly then returned the tywanski tool set and still made in it home earlier than usual.

Changed the starter in a McDonalds parking lot on my sons 86 K10 several weeks ago. It was about a 20 minute job considering i always have tools in my truck and he was 1/2 mile from Advance Auto Parts.
Yeah it didn’t take real long because I have tools on the truck too. But the advance right down the road didn’t have the right starter. So had to get one from oreilys on the other side of town

Alternator at advance auto on the way back from Florida in sandersville on Sunday afternoon. This was 20 years ago. Wrote a check that would have bounced if I didn’t put money in on Monday morning. Barrowed tools to change it. Had to go to the used car lot across the street to look at how to put on the serpentine belt. My decal was faded off and there was a similar truck for sale there. This might have been in the bag phone era. But there sure as hell wasnt any service out there.

Alternator at advance auto on the way back from Florida in sandersville on Sunday afternoon. This was 20 years ago. Wrote a check that would have bounced if I didn’t put money in on Monday morning. Barrowed tools to change it. Had to go to the used car lot across the street to look at how to put on the serpentine belt. My decal was faded off and there was a similar truck for sale there. This might have been in the bag phone era. But there sure as hell wasnt any service out there.
Dangit man that sucks. I can definitely relate to the check part of this story.

every had to change a starter in a parking lot? I had to change mine today in the middle of an ingles parking lot. I just had put diesel in my truck and ran in to get a few things and when I came out the damn truck wouldn’t crank. It wasn’t bad to change but just the whole situation was a pain in the ass. I was just wondering if it has happened to any of y’all.
Starters and whole clutch, amount other things.

I haven't had to change one in a parking lot but I got a new one once and the sold me one for an automatic trans. I didn't know they were different. I drove around for a couple of days with it. It started smelling like it was going to catch on fire, very strong electric motor burning smell. Come to find out it was never fully disengaging. I pulled it off in a gravel parking lot and roll started it to get home and took it and swapped it out. They started to give me grief at the parts shop until I told them that auto or manual was never a question that I was asked.

I haven't had to change one in a parking lot but I got a new one once and the sold me one for an automatic trans. I didn't know they were different. I drove around for a couple of days with it. It started smelling like it was going to catch on fire, very strong electric motor burning smell. Come to find out it was never fully disengaging. I pulled it off in a gravel parking lot and roll started it to get home and took it and swapped it out. They started to give me grief at the parts shop until I told them that auto or manual was never a question that I was asked.
Yeah the people that work at the auto parts store will screw you over unless you can tell them every little detail about everything. Lol

yup, finished a job and the work van wouldnt crank so we changed it in the parking deck. thankfully for the most part when they started to go out i was able to smack it a few times and get it loose enough to crank once and get home

Back
Top Bottom