• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Has anybody

I changed a starter on my 1970 GMC in the parking lot of a Tractor Supply many years ago.

That was a hell of a lot better than changing one on an 80s k10 while laying in rut in the middle of the night. If you know your starter is flaky do not go off road and if you do, do not shut it off when you get stuck. Thankfully I was able to drag him out of the worst of it but the nearest parts store was an hour away.

Changed a clutch out in a 84 Dodge Caravan 5 speed in a dirt driveway. Transverse transaxle, front wheel drive, had to pull the starter, and the driveshafts. Then unbolt the transmission, pull it back, rotate it 90 degrees, and drop it out the bottom. Change out the clutch disk and throwout bearing, then reverse the procedure. The transmission weighed 86 pounds, had to lift it in by hand. Was 32 degrees and windy that day. Sucked being poor.

No starter but a belt and tensioner on the side of the interstate. Was on the way home with the new parts and the tensioner pulley bearing failed and shreaded the belt.

Alternator in the rain under a bank drive thru and a radiator in Walmart parking lot. That's just in the past couple of years. I've driven a lot of junk over the years so there have been many roadside repairs

About a year ago when we lived in Darien I saw some poor guy changing a CV shaft on a late model Civic in the O'Reilly parking lot right on Hwy 17. He was there for a good while. Worse than that his girlfriend or wife was with him bitching the entire time. But I guess if you did have to do a job like that it's best to do it in their parking lot even though you're not supposed to. So when you need yet another tool you don't have far to go to buy or borrow it

Back
Top Bottom