• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Has anyone else tried this? Looks like a good gun cleaner...

What do you use to lube your pistol

• Vaseline

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Hopps

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • WD 40

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Tacos

Votes: 11 55.0%

• Total voters
Man, hell. I just put a dab of some royal purple chain lube or motor oil designed for a sport bike with a wet clutch and rock on.

I still clean like the army taught me to; after each shooting session, with a lifetime 5 gal jug of CLP, tooth brush, cut up brown t shirt, boresnake, And most importantly cans and cans of Ripits
IMG_6236.JPG

Other than Frog Lube, I haven't seen a gun oil/grease that I wouldn't recommend. If you aren't working above the Arctic Circle, or in a windblown desert, they all work.

I mix up Ed's Red Lube and use that on all my firearms. If I need grease, I use Mobil 1 synthetic that comes in a grease gun tube.

Ken Hackathorn uses straight Mobil 1 automotive oil on all his firearms.

Ballistol has been around for a loooooong time. Mineral oil based and non-toxic, but I don't advise drinking it cuz it tastes like hell.

WD-40 is basically a bunch of solvent and will evaporate. It'll work fine for cleaning stuff, but not as a lubricant.
I prefer Hoppes and CLP.

The slightly dated 'Glocks in Competition' claims WD 40 will harm the plated small parts on Glocks. May be hokum.

WD40's formula is a trade secret, but it looks like 50% of it is aliphatic hydrocarbons. Aliphatic hydrocarbons, such as methane, ethane, propane, butane, etc. can chemically etch plating.
Sounds plausible that WD40 could damage plated parts, but I would think that it would take prolonged exposure to do so.

Been using WD-40 for 30 years. Have hunted in sleet, and 3 feet of snow and have never had a FTF or FTE.. They have always gone boom!

Back
Top Bottom