• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Has anyone ever had a pistol or rifle decoratively engraved?

Yes, and many of the big name makers such as Holland &Holland, Rigby, Purdy agreed that the minimal engraving to set off the lines of the gun and retain them as it was handled over the years was best. Nowadays, rifles and shotguns are only palettes for artists, which indeed many of them are. Back in the late 60 and 70's there was a relationship between workmanship and cost. Once the high rollers got in, the trade was spoiled. Regardless, I like engraving, but would not spend my money on it now, especially in this economy.

yes sir, nowadays more often then not the engraved guns are owned by the wealthy whom probably never even shoot them. They use them as pure decoration with overdone engraving that makes putting any wear on the firearm hard, well still keeping the engraving intact
the jeweled hammer on a blackhawk is as close to engraving as I get and it came like that used

If you got the coin, go for it.

media.liveauctiongroup.net_i_9487_10487962_2.jpg_7e25b02d84c3a9b63388b59fb2d47f73.jpg

About 3 months ago I saw a Smith that was decorated by someone taking a punch and putting dots around the entire pistol. Fairly sure was a Smith. Can remember getting old.

Bryan, I have never been a fan of engraved guns, but that is just my preference. If the gun is blued and you have it engraved, it normally needs to be reblued after the engraving. If it is stainless, no problem. I have no leads for you to find a competent engraver. If you find one, and you like the work, post a name and number. Oh, and pics when it is completed!!!!

If you got the coin, go for it.

media.liveauctiongroup.net_i_9487_10487962_2.jpg_7e25b02d84c3a9b63388b59fb2d47f73.jpg
Looks like a Beretta ASE model boxlock with false side-plates. Ignore the engraving for a moment, and note the metal to metal fit and the metal to wood fit. The quality is built in before the decoration is added on. Nice piece for sure.

I expected flying duck or bird dogs. I'm met with naked babes.
Life is good. I can't imagine taking that in swamp conditions, subjecting
it to a cold misty morning and the recoil of magnum loads.

Not much for safe Queens. Rather feel that if I happen to drop it on a rock,
I can fix it with a bottle of blue. Also the boobs look like implants. I'm a natural kinda guy.

Back
Top Bottom