• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Has anyone had issues metering powder lately?

AlphaMike11

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
47   0
Reaction score
I have had very good experiences measuring powder with an auto dispenser in the past.
However, tonight every so often; after about 4 or 5 charges of 5.0gr I am getting a light throw. (2-3 grains)

If I let the unit progress and use the other stations it does not throw light charges.
On setup i keep the head on the powder cycle and throw over and over in the same brass to verify my load until I'm satisfied it is consistent. This is using the same brass which is already expanded. Already using dryer sheets to minimize static but i think that is the issue.
If the unit 'bangs" when i expand no issues only on the repeats.

Anyone else ever see this type of thing?

I'm going to guess it's the static cling issue.

I have noticed that during cold weather, the powders I use, H110, Varget, tend to exhibit clinging characteristics. It tends to want to clump together rather than flow. Almost like static cling.

How cold is your work area?

Yep, I am dropping a little lite, low temps and high humidity I think. Powder seems to be a little sticky.
I am bouncing the handle a little more than normal and powder flow isn’t that bad. Took my measure out and cleaned no problem, just must be the weather?

You got it backwards, low temps cause low humidity and that is what causes the static cling. When the humidity is up, the powder flows better. Seems to be more of an issue with stick powders in my experience.

Of course too much humidity is a bad thing also. Need a happy medium, although, I can't tell you what that should be. Guessing between 30% and maybe 60% relativity humidity.

Rosewood

I used a dryer sheet after it came out of the clothes dryer.

Anyone else have this issue?
I bought a box of scent free sheets I keep near my reloading table. I use them new. I stick one vertically in my powder hopper with the powder when using stick powder to reduce static. Not 100%, but it does improve the flow the best I can tell.

I use the old sheets from the dryer in my tumbler when cleaning brass.

Rosewood

Back
Top Bottom