• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Has anyone tried shooting .22 shot shells through a suppressor?

Yes, I've done it a bunch of times. End cap strikes about 10% of the time.
I had to mass extinction some flying squirrels in my attic years ago and I was using a 6 inch can. I made a 4 inch one to remedy it and it seemed to work. Problem with ratshot is the spread. That plastic pellet breaks as soon as you fire on a rifled barrel and theres about a 2 foot spread at 10 feet. They open up more than a 1/4 inch at 6 inches, which means the spread is going to be larger than your 22 aperture.

All that being said, I wasn't worried about it because I could just make a new one. If you're buying form 4 cans, don't do it. Guaranteed endcap strike.

Never had a chance to thread one of those Garden Guns that are smooth bore. I'd like to see if they can do it because they do have a longer range and tighter pattern.

Never even met anyone who had a Garden Gun and I "kind of" want one but its hard to justify the money for a very niche gun

Never had a chance to thread one of those Garden Guns that are smooth bore. I'd like to see if they can do it because they do have a longer range and tighter pattern.

Never even met anyone who had a Garden Gun and I "kind of" want one but its hard to justify the money for a very niche gun

The cci shotshells are designed for rifled barrels. The smoothbore 22 do better with the federal gameshok/small game shot shells with the crimped brass tip.

No way.... I wouldn't do it with either the crimped-end shotshells (Remington, Federal) or the blue plastic capsule kind (CCI).

Well, I might try it with a can made for centerfire pistols, with holes in the baffles or monocore that are big enough to let a 9mm bullet pass thru. AND if said baffles / core could be removed for cleaning and inspection for damage. Under those conditions, I'd do a few test shots to see what happens, then look at the inside of the silencer to see if any baffles got hit by pellets.

The .22 rimfire shotshells use #12 "dust shot" -- not even really classified as birdshot. Each pellet weighs so little that I don't think they have enough kinetic energy to do any real damage if a few stray pellets hit a hard metal baffle.

Back
Top Bottom