• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Have you conceded your 2A rights?

Everyone who has paid a tax stamp and asked the government for permission to own a suppressor, SBR or SBS have created the precedent for registration of whatever the government wants to legislatively move to the NFA list.
They will use the argument that an "assault rifle" or braced pistol is for all intents and purposes just as dangerous as a SBR or SBS. Everyone who has a stamp for one of those has conceded that doing so does not infringe on their 2nd amendment rights.

I hear the same argument with a WC license. My kids tell me now the government knows I carry/have a gun. Well they know I own guns if:
I buy ammunition
Belong to the NRA
Buy a hunting license
Fill out a form 4473 to buy a rifle/pistol/shotgun
Use this site -- don't think they are not watching and monitoring either actively or passively
Send photos of a successful hunting trip
Belong to a gun club

There is no where to hide. So I enjoy what I have while I have it -- keep my powder dry and watch the skyline....

JMHO

I appreciate your post as informed and thought out. I do take offense at being called ridiculous when I am not discussing the law’s validity. They will use the compliance as an argument for the legislation putting new firearms on the list.
Their argument will be
“If you believe an SBR is ok to-be on the list why not an AR? They are the same other than a difference in length. One is as equally as destructive as the other “
I am done repeating myself and once people resort to memes the thread is done.
I don't have any NFA items. Not because I don't want them. Not because I can't afford them. But because I refuse to go through the completely nonsensical, ARBITRARY hurdles, the government has decided citizens must adhere to in order to more fully exercise their 2A rights.
It's a bridge too far, for me. Those of you who keep trying to justify it by saying "you're already on a list" are being intentionally obtuse or are trying to justify your own actions which can be described as nothing other than capitulation. Full stop.
Where I depart from your reasoning to object Bryan Bryan is I guess your main point. I.E. complying greases the skids for a broadening of the NFA net. I don't see any historical or logical support for that assertion. We've already had the precedent for broadening federal over reach ( cough, bump stock).
I will never have any 2A related item that requires any additional background information or absurd tax. It is 100% unjustifiable.
Of course I held the same position about Georgia's disgusting permission slip requirement. It's the EXACT same principle. I folded on that. No other way to describe it.

You are absolutely right . I don't know what I was thinking when I said that. Thank you for pointing out my hubris.
It does not change the fact that when you participate in a government registration program for one type of firearm don't be surprised when they start to expand it to other firearms.
Do you have a drivers license?

“I don't have any NFA items. Not because I don't want them. Not because I can't afford them. But because I refuse to go through the completely nonsensical, ARBITRARY hurdles, the government has decided citizens must adhere to in order to more fully exercise their 2A rights.”
It's a bridge too far, for me. Those of you who keep trying to justify it by saying "you're already on a list" are being intentionally obtuse or are trying to justify your own actions which can be described as nothing other than capitulation. Full stop.
Where I depart from your reasoning to object Bryan Bryan is I guess your main point. I.E. complying greases the skids for a broadening of the NFA net. I don't see any historical or logical support for that assertion. We've already had the precedent for broadening federal over reach ( cough, bump stock).
I will never have any 2A related item that requires any additional background information or absurd tax. It is 100% unjustifiable.
Of course I held the same position about Georgia's disgusting permission slip requirement. It's the EXACT same principle. I folded on that. No other way to describe it.
Literally the only thing additional is $200 some waiting and a fingerprint lol, it’s a 4473 with the questions rearranged and your “background check” is a regular NICS check the atf runs

“I don't have any NFA items. Not because I don't want them. Not because I can't afford them. But because I refuse to go through the completely nonsensical, ARBITRARY hurdles, the government has decided citizens must adhere to in order to more fully exercise their 2A rights.”

Literally the only thing additional is $200 some waiting and a fingerprint lol, it’s a 4473 with the questions rearranged and your “background check” is a regular NICS check the atf runs
"Some waiting"? The same way a 400# woman is carrying "some extra weight"? $200 excise tax on somethings that in some cases shouldn't cost $200 to begin with. I wonder how everyone would react if a law was passed requiring a 50% tax on all firearms purchases.... for.... you know..... 'administrative costs'. I wonder how that would fly? Apparently just fine with a bunch of folks. Again, if you don't see it for the further infringement it is, I'm not sure what to tell you. I'm against a 4473 as well as ANY citizen walking around freely in society ought to have the ability to purchase a firearm, but at least I can walk in, walk out in minutes and be on my way without paying any money or unnecessary time for the 'privilege' of exercising my 2A 'rights'. And let's not fool ourselves, at this point, it is a privilege instead of a right.

"Some waiting"? The same way a 400# woman is carrying "some extra weight"? $200 excise tax on somethings that in some cases shouldn't cost $200 to begin with. I wonder how everyone would react if a law was passed requiring a 50% tax on all firearms purchases.... for.... you know..... 'administrative costs'. I wonder how that would fly? Apparently just fine with a bunch of folks. Again, if you don't see it for the further infringement it is, I'm not sure what to tell you. I'm against a 4473 as well as ANY citizen walking around freely in society ought to have the ability to purchase a firearm, but at least I can walk in, walk out in minutes and be on my way without paying any money or unnecessary time for the 'privilege' of exercising my 2A 'rights'. And let's not fool ourselves, at this point, it is a privilege instead of a right.

That’s the whole point of it. They are wanting to discourage people from going through the trouble of owning them. By not giving in and jumping through their hoops, you are giving them exactly what they want.

They don’t give a **** about the money or paperwork.

OP I think your argument is weak. The idea that compliance with the NFA is making it easier to produce gun control dosent really add up. The paranoia for more gun control is also not really adding up in general. Firearms are being sold at record levels year after year. The past 10 years have had just about as much publicity to create a mass shift towards gun control, but it keeps failing and in fact seems like more an more states are embracing a pro gun stance. For example look at the trend of carry permits over the last few decades. Yes its still largely a mandated thing that shouldnt be, but it has definietly shifted in favor of gun owners. There is no amount of man power that can disarm or control gun owners in this country and any more legislation that would push the needle toward severe gun control would be met with a mass wave of non compliance. They cant even hardly enforce the laws they have now.

That’s the whole point of it. They are wanting to discourage people from going through the trouble of owning them. By not giving in and jumping through their hoops, you are giving them exactly what they want.

They don’t give a **** about the money or paperwork.
So by complying with an unconstitutional edict we're actually 'winning' and 'sticking it to the man'? Ok...... There's some 3D chess.

I have zero interest in trying to convince anyone to NFA or not to NFA (the freaking thing is an embarrassing disgrace and should be repealed but nobody reading this will live to see that happen). People do whatever they can justify to themselves (on any topic). I just view the 'giddiness' with which some announce that their nanny has sent them their approval to exercise their 2A rights as depressing as can be.

OP I think your argument is weak. The idea that compliance with the NFA is making it easier to produce gun control dosent really add up. The paranoia for more gun control is also not really adding up in general. Firearms are being sold at record levels year after year. The past 10 years have had just about as much publicity to create a mass shift towards gun control, but it keeps failing and in fact seems like more an more states are embracing a pro gun stance. For example look at the trend of carry permits over the last few decades. Yes its still largely a mandated thing that shouldnt be, but it has definietly shifted in favor of gun owners. There is no amount of man power that can disarm or control gun owners in this country and any more legislation that would push the needle toward severe gun control would be met with a mass wave of non compliance. They cant even hardly enforce the laws they have now.
Can you give an example of "massive wave of non compliance" when it comes to gun control that you have seen in your lifetime?

Back
Top Bottom