• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Have you ever seen this happen before?

grandall1972

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
249   0
Reaction score
We out with a group of friends for a fun day at the range and had this happen in my m1a scout (pictured). New/Reloaded 500 round box of ammo from a Georgia supplier. I'll get the exact company when I get back home from SC. Shot a few rounds and they were hitting the target well at 100 yards, but had one failed to eject due to a rounded lip. Then I had this happen. Not going to shoot anymore of these.

What you're looking at is the 3/4 off a shell enacted after firing leaving the top in the chamber. The the next round feeding and luckily light striking with out firing. Got lucky today, but will not be buying ammo from this supplier again.
17995.jpeg
17998.jpeg
1206162247.jpg

Seen that many times in many different rifles/carbines. That's LC military brass and if it's in reloads then you have no idea how many times it's been reloaded before you got it. Nothing wrong with the company that loaded it......it's the chance you taking when shooting reloads of unknown provenance.

Yup what is said above that is at the end of the anealing on the case so it is basically where the brass has got soft from the anealing and where the brass that wasn't anealed had become work harden from being reloaded so many times. It creates the weak point in the brass. But it does take a lot of reloading the same pice to get your results. Probably upward of 25-30+ times. Odds are your other ammo is just fine.

Yep, it will dead line a rifle most tic. An extraction tool is made as some will stick in the chamber. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I kind of remember hearing that this tool was G.I. issue with M1 Garands WWII time line.

Semi's work the necks, as the brass expands the bolt begins and pulls the case.

The case separations I seen on bolt guns typically occurs lower, sometimes a faint ring can be seen that a sharp dental pick can feel inside the case occurs just before separation. The number of times a case can be reloaded depends, load, caliber, chamber and brass quality. Most claim a few 2-4 or 5-7 reloadings for center fire rifle brass but a more accurate check is how many trimmings were "needed" to get the case back to spec. After 2 or 3 needed trimmings that brass is probably close to done.

I normally carry two, one in U.S. mil spec 5.56 and one 7.62 when shooting semi-auto rifles of that caliber.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...qmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_94fi6pmjro_e

Sign of premature case separation.

Oh and happy new year guys.

Thanks for the information, and happy New Years. Still a little bothersome the first time it happens. Will probably just shoot it out of my bolt guns in the future.

I had exactly the same thing once but it was the rear 25% of the case that pulled off. Well known GA supplier of reloads. I will definitely look for that ring now.

Good info. It definitely makes you think how close things could have been. Glad you're OK. I was thinking about buying reloads for my M1A. If I do, I will definitely look for that ring.

Back
Top Bottom