• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Have you ever walked up on a rattlesnake!

Deer feeders are snake magnets. They are looking to ambush a squirrel, chipmunk, rat, etc who is also showing up to grab a bite from the feeder. I'm always on my toes around feeders.
Great advice. New neighbor just mentioned he is putting two feeders up in his backyard and I mentioned the magnet part. Learned the hard way.

I've been lucky, bit twice. One dry bite the other was in my boot and jeans. My brother and I got suspended from high school back in1985 after we found a den of prairie rattlers and caught a half dozen of them and put them in big mason jars and sold them to our buddies. We get some big velvet tails around here.
db4b04e69e09dfc8f0b7770b95be4428.jpg
653e41745137eb392dd349e74c76d408.jpg

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
That is a brave young man.

No rattlesnakes but I got hit in the ankle by a copperhead (not a non-venomous banded wateenake a venomous copperhead). Walking along a creek on my property with my then 6 year old nephew on my shoulders. Felt like Mike Tyson punched me in the ankle. Snake boots saved me…lucky I was actually wearing them. Underwear had to be retired.

My brother and I were walking in tall grass at my uncles farm in Alabama I looked to my left for some reason and saw it a wrist thick rattlesnake coiled up in the grass, we stopped unable to move from fear, I drew my pistol and took aim, that’s when I heard a rattle from behind us, we slowly look around and we were surrounded I heard rattles all around, at least 4 or 5 rattlesnakes, slowly we backed out the same footprints we walked in on, we got back to the truck and took off, my heart was pounding. I have had a gun pulled on me before and that was not as scary at those rattlesnakes. What’s your story?
Y'all are lucky. I almost steeped on one at the farm. I had just finished bush hogging a little earlier. That's why I carry a revolver with the first shot a shot shell after that. That one I unloaded 6 rounds hitting the snake in the head. Though to do when said snake is moving. Problem is you were way out numbered. Yes, there have been several along the way. When I was a teenager I used to frequent a lake that was infested with water moccasins and cooper heads. You literally had to watch every steep you made. You could be standing on the bank and a bed of snakes within @5-6' away at the water's edge. Obviously having to keep a close eye on them

Closest I ever came was at a friends house off Jimmy Carter Blv about 30 years ago. His house was at the edge of an area that had recently been cleared of trees with lots of brush and left behind wood. Came out of the house walking fast and instinctively jumped over what I thought was a branch on the sidewalk. Turned out to be a short fat copperhead.
Also agree with John Moses...Oconee had big ugly water moccasins every time I visited...

Back
Top Bottom