• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Have you ever walked up on a rattlesnake!

Two many times I am afraid. I have more encounters with cotton mouths than rattle snakes. When I lived in Oklahoma I literally could have stepped right in front of one and not known it. Hunting in the warmer months the cacti and alow with thick tumble weeds would have camouflaged them perfectly. I don't even want to think about the close calls I have had and not even known it.

Walking to deer stand opening afternoon 2020
D91CA54F-CB2D-479C-911C-29366125D2FD.jpeg

I was checking on a deer feeder, and for some reason I happened to look down and saw one coiled about 2 feet from me. I backed up and went back to my 4 wheeler to get my gun, and the snake disappeared, but I I heard him rattling. He was on the other side of the feeder, and if not for the rattling I'd of never seen him. I doubt I would have heard him rattling if I didn't know he was around somewhere. I can't hear for s**t anymore

AF0F4FEF-3894-4108-B099-C4B7A5E42743.jpeg

My brother and I were walking in tall grass at my uncles farm in Alabama I looked to my left for some reason and saw it a wrist thick rattlesnake coiled up in the grass, we stopped unable to move from fear, I drew my pistol and took aim, that’s when I heard a rattle from behind us, we slowly look around and we were surrounded I heard rattles all around, at least 4 or 5 rattlesnakes, slowly we backed out the same footprints we walked in on, we got back to the truck and took off, my heart was pounding. I have had a gun pulled on me before and that was not as scary at those rattlesnakes. What’s your story?
You likely interrupted a serpentine gang bang.
Hope you had a spare pair of drawers in the truck

I crossed paths with several over the years. I was at Cades Cove one year jogging back to truck to meet wife when I looked down just in time to jump over one. I didn’t even stop , I was also in knee high grass and was a miracle I didn’t step on him.

Back
Top Bottom