• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Have you ever walked up on a rattlesnake!

IMG_0064.jpgFairly good size,13 rattles & a Button

When I was in high school, a friend was walking through a narrow wooded area between to trails. Had a branch caught on his foot. Without looking down, he reached down to pull it off. Found it wasn't a branch. He somehow flung his arm one way and kicked his foot the other.
When we searched the area we found the copperhead 10 feet from where he encountered it, and its head around 30 feet in the opposite direction.
It bit the edge of his sneaker, without touching his foot.

I've had two. The first one up on Jack's River when I was 12 or so. That is by far the snakiest place I've ever seen. We were hiking and camping. Saw 6 snakes in about a 28 hour period and all but one was poisonous. Rattlers, copperheads, and a moccasin. They were spread out and none were very close to the others. Dad killed all he had a chance to but the rat snake. Still have 5 buttons from the biggest. All were on or very near the trail. Cut our trip short, hiked out after just one night.

Second time in Cades Cove, me and my wife were on a trail when we came up on a timber rattler.

Once my little brother ran across a giant timber rattler in bow season. He was probably 16. Stepped over a log and pow. That snake was big enough to latch hold of the cargo pocket on some bdu pants. He had to shake the snake loose from his pants. The snake only had pants, no flesh. I think he literally went into shock, and wandered out to the highway where someone picked him up.
He was hunting alone. You will never catch him without snake boots now, unless its below freezing. lol

My brother and I were walking in tall grass at my uncles farm in Alabama I looked to my left for some reason and saw it a wrist thick rattlesnake coiled up in the grass, we stopped unable to move from fear, I drew my pistol and took aim, that’s when I heard a rattle from behind us, we slowly look around and we were surrounded I heard rattles all around, at least 4 or 5 rattlesnakes, slowly we backed out the same footprints we walked in on, we got back to the truck and took off, my heart was pounding. I have had a gun pulled on me before and that was not as scary at those rattlesnakes. What’s your story?
Lake Oconee, 2am, kneeling down while feeding bread crumbs to the bream in a lighted boat dock a girl behind me let out a gasp. The biggest water moccasin with mouth wide open was inches away from my face. For some reason it didn’t bite me & wrapped around an 8’ roof pole then came back down & went under the dock. When it came out I was so mad I unloaded 2mags into it. 2” chunks were flying everywhere. The next day we spotted a red fox, a rattler & a eagle around the house.

Back
Top Bottom