• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

HB Industries Gas Block Aligner

Wallace's Wallace's , I am confused about the "clamp on" gas block discussion as the original question didn't mention it, unless I missed something. I would also say that not all OEMs dimple, as there are other acceptable and proven methods, including just the use of the flush cup set screws. As I stated above, I also routinely dimple, but not necessarily for any grip advantage as much as just for proper alignment. Read what Faxon says, and why they don't dimple.

https://faxonfirearms.com/blog/frequently-asked-questions-does-faxon-dimple-their-barrels/

WinstonSmith WinstonSmith - I could easily see the pin so I am guessing that almost half was visible, whick made it easy to snap it off, allowing the two pieces to drop. Again, after buying the dimpling jig, I now routinely dimple mainly for the ease of alignment and not having to continue buying/replacing the break-off pins.

Damn. I had half showing in the barrel and as it turned it back and forth it would slide half in and out easily. It just looked so off center I didnt think there was any way it could be right. I called hb and they said it should go almost all the way into the gas block and, because my gas port was the size of the smallest pin which had now already been broken in half, they are sending me another kit free of charge. Very nice of them I think. When I get the next kit, and I ordered a new gas tube just for ****s and giggles, I'll see how it works. I'd actually like a bore scope but I dont do this often enough to drop that kind of coin. Hopefully this all goes smoothly as I am excited to get this thing up and running. Thanks for your experience with it.

Wallace's Wallace's , I am confused about the "clamp on" gas block discussion as the original question didn't mention it, unless I missed something. I would also say that not all OEMs dimple, as there are other acceptable and proven methods, including just the use of the flush cup set screws. As I stated above, I also routinely dimple, but not necessarily for any grip advantage as much as just for proper alignment. Read what Faxon says, and why they don't dimple.

https://faxonfirearms.com/blog/frequently-asked-questions-does-faxon-dimple-their-barrels/

WinstonSmith WinstonSmith - I could easily see the pin so I am guessing that almost half was visible, whick made it easy to snap it off, allowing the two pieces to drop. Again, after buying the dimpling jig, I now routinely dimple mainly for the ease of alignment and not having to continue buying/replacing the break-off pins.

Part of the HB guy lame ass sales pitch mentions usefullness with clamp on gas blocks as there is no “set screw reference”.

Faxon is not a company I wish to take advice from. Ballistic Advantage refuses to dimple as well. "corrosion" of a small dimple that will get sealed off by the red loctite is bull ****. Cup set screws are not the best method either. There is no cost difference between cupped vs knurled and thus, no reason not to use them. The only acceptable alternative to proper dimple method is pinning. Aside from proprietary attachment methods like KAC. In regards to their lame ass excuse of lead time, cost, etc.... it takes literally seconds to do, and can be treated post dimple like Sionics/BCM/SOLGW. Also, "spacing" is nonsense. Only a few companies actually dual dimple (KAC being one of them on their older Mod1 barrels which the latter part get pinned as well). One dimple under the gas port is all you need. Their ignorant post just furthers my point they are not someone.to take advice from. Countless reputable manufacturers have proven what they say is false.

You can argue all you want, grip advantage is real with a dimple.

Damn. I had half showing in the barrel and as it turned it back and forth it would slide half in and out easily. It just looked so off center I didnt think there was any way it could be right. I called hb and they said it should go almost all the way into the gas block and, because my gas port was the size of the smallest pin which had now already been broken in half, they are sending me another kit free of charge. Very nice of them I think. When I get the next kit, and I ordered a new gas tube just for ****s and giggles, I'll see how it works. I'd actually like a bore scope but I dont do this often enough to drop that kind of coin. Hopefully this all goes smoothly as I am excited to get this thing up and running. Thanks for your experience with it.
Listens to proper advice and poor advice....takes poor advice to continue to use the ****ty HB product. This why I don't come on here hardly ever. You try to clearly explain pros and cons and help but derp takes over....

Damn. I had half showing in the barrel and as it turned it back and forth it would slide half in and out easily.

When I rotated the first time, I confirmed the pin was in place, letting me know the two ports were aligned. At that point, I didn't rotate again until I had both set screws in place. With the gas block screwed down and locked in place, I then broke and removed the pin halves. Lastly, I removed one set screw at a time to add my loctite to make sure they held. No issues at all but I don't shoot thousands of rounds in any given rifle like some folks.

You can argue all you want, grip advantage is real with a dimple.

Not arguing at all, just offering other proven options for securing a gas block, and I for one enjoy engaging in rational discussions.

Even the FN 18" CHF barrel I bought from you was not dimpled, but it did have set screw marks from the gas block installation. If we can't believe Faxon or BA barrel info, what do you think about Vltor and their products, including clamp on gas blocks/front sights? Vltor was asked to test the torque requirements necessary to move/dislodge a properly installed clamp on front sight/gas block.

Vltor VST-1C Development Testing: Security of clamp mounting system.

The Vltor VST-1C folding front sight was tested to determine the amount of torque needed to cause the sight to rotate, when mounted to the barrel. Testing was unable to determine the torque measurement, as the upper receiver and barrel indexing pin failed before any sight movement.

Not arguing at all, just offering other proven options for securing a gas block, and I for one enjoy engaging in rational discussions.

Even the FN 18" CHF barrel I bought from you was not dimpled, but it did have set screw marks from the gas block installation. If we can't believe Faxon or BA barrel info, what do you think about Vltor and their products, including clamp on gas blocks/front sights? Vltor was asked to test the torque requirements necessary to move/dislodge a properly installed clamp on front sight/gas block.

Vltor VST-1C Development Testing: Security of clamp mounting system.

The Vltor VST-1C folding front sight was tested to determine the amount of torque needed to cause the sight to rotate, when mounted to the barrel. Testing was unable to determine the torque measurement, as the upper receiver and barrel indexing pin failed before any sight movement.
That testing is inconclusive in regards to heat cycling and actual use. My advice does not come from thin air, but rather personal experience and knowledge from people who work at major suppliers of duty and military weapons -> Sionics, SOLGW, BCM, KAC, LMT, etc...

Ballistic Advantage’s President told my friend and I they had no intentions to ever dimple since they offer a pinned version. So guess what? one armorer is up to 6 BA incorrectly factory pinned barrels right now. I say this as pinning is the only other recommended way to secure a gas block, but sadly, these “big guys” that spew the “no need to dimple” cannot even get pinning down well.

That FN Barrel was not installed on a factory FN rifle or done by me. FN pins their LPGB. No set screws.

FN gas block for those wondering....

8F1D85D8-13AE-49EF-B47A-87EC9990CE64.jpeg

How about this verbiage from M4carbine dot net... makes me go hmmmmmm!

The original FN 15 Tactical MLOK had a screwed on gas block. The newer Tactical II model (36312-01) has a pinned gas block. I have both the FN15 Tactical Carbine (36313) and FN15 Tactical Carbine II (36312-01). Both have low profile gas blocks. The Tactical Carbine's is retained with two Allen screws at six o'clock. The Tactical Carbine II's block is retained with a single, large solid pin. After seeing this thread I decided to see if my Tactical Carbine was dimpled for the gas block's Allen screws...it wasn't.

Back
Top Bottom