• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hear me out... .410 Wildcat

Anyone loading .45 Colt the first time there are some "Watch-its". First of all consistent case lengths is important. Trimming .45 Colt isn't something that you are likely to do with a batch of new brass that you just shot. However there can be differences between batches depending upon manufacturer and number of times shot. Usually these differences are almost immeasurable. Then again they can adversely affect seating and crimping. Most frustrating, you will find the occasional .454 Casull that is just like a .45 Colt except a little bit longer. Then there's the Hornady Lever-Action stuff that's a little bit shorter. Both will most certainly play heck on your bullet seating and crimping! While you can load the lever-action stuff in a separate batch with adjustments for seating/crimping, eschew the Casull cases.

Although widely published with warnings, there are many published loads out there that are strictly for modern RUGER pistols. They approach .44 Mag loads! If placed in anything other than the RUGER pistols they were intended for, they will likely lead to serious consequences to yourself, bystanders and your firearm (comprende "KABOOM"?)

Seems like loading.45's has some "modern problems" in that .45 ACP also come in brass that uses small primers. Not a lot of fun breaking decapping pins in attempting to decap them!

As with anything involving firearms, always remember: "Safety First"

Enjoy our .45 Colt!

Remember, just because you can get it cheap, and can stock it deep it is not necessarily a good deal.

Good reloading equipment is not cheap, buy the best you can, the press, dies, the main part of reloading needs be a good quality product, with a good reputation, warranty, and that will take care of problems that arise from time to time and they will appear.

Buy quality, that's why we bought RCBS, and when we went progressive we are a dye hard "BIG BLUE RELOADING" fan, and user.

I reload 410 and I put 5 # 00buc in a 3" case . Cutting down the case would be hard to do . I load rifle pistol 12ga & 410 andshotshell is a lot more complicated. The amount of powder depends on the shell, wad,primer and powder. You have receipts that are pressure tested so you don't blow things up. So find a receipt and your good to go.

Just a note for my info Clarke.
I resize/ decap both large primer and small primer 45 acp cases with the same dies?
now reseating primers of large or small needs to be the correct size but I have no problems with decapping as the decapping rod goes through the center of each case /primer to pop them out.
just curious if you had a brain poooot or if this is an issue for you?
I do keep my small primer cases separate from the large primer cases but that's more for reseating primers than anything.
I tested exact loads in both cases and got the same results as to performance from both .

"Brain Poop" Thanks for catching! Lots (too much) going on in my life the past couple of months! It's the priming that jams my progressive press! I usually try to sort out the small primer stuff, reload it with the firm intention of leaving every one of them on the floor at the range!
Yes, as far as I can tell, the performance is exactly the same ...

Thanks again for catching my blooper!!!

There's a lesson here: If you see someone's load published, don't use it unless you can verify it from at least one (preferably two) other independent sources!

The reason that I save my small primer 45 acp cases is just in case the end of the world comes, Zombies take over and start eating peoples brains and of course the UFO finally land and decide to take over and I have only small pistol primers to use and I want to shoot these bad guys with a 45 acp.
actually I do reload them occasionally when I get invited to shoot somewhere that I know I can't likely retrieve the brass.
thanks for the follow up Clarke.

The reason that I save my small primer 45 acp cases is just in case the end of the world comes, Zombies take over and start eating peoples brains and of course the UFO finally land and decide to take over and I have only small pistol primers to use and I want to shoot these bad guys with a 45 acp.
actually I do reload them occasionally when I get invited to shoot somewhere that I know I can't likely retrieve the brass.
thanks for the follow up Clarke.

Also makes for trading fodder to someone that likes the small primer.

Back
Top Bottom