• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hearing dripping noises in our new house. How to find the leak?

I have a older house and when someone is using hot water,anywhere else in the house,the pipe inside the wall makes a light popping sound. I could see where,depending on where the pipe is in your home,that could mimic a dripping noise.

Did the refrigerator come with the house? It might be doing a defrost cycle and dripping into a pan in the bottom of it. Our last refrigerator did this. It didn't drip all the time and the house had to be quiet to hear it.

Since you are on a well, watch out for pin holes in copper pipe. If you see pink stains in tub’s, sinks, etc. that’s copper eroding from the pipes. I will never put another stick of copper in my house because of this.
Acidic water eating away at copper pipe will leave a Blue/Green stain wherever the water drips.

Acidic water eating away at copper pipe will leave a Blue/Green stain wherever the water drips.
On my second house with all copper pipes... each one over 20 years and not one problem. But copper pipes aren't what they used to be, either. You gotta watch out for that cheap thin-walled stuff....

PVC or PEX? Some of the hangers used to hold PEX underneath the floors can rub against the PEX and as it flexes when water temp changes in the pipe. This will make a sound similar to water dripping.
Looks like PVC
image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom