• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Heavier Buffer Question AR9

Moondog1

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
183   0
Reaction score
So I've never messed with different buffers before. I want to mess with a heavier buffer in my FX-9 pistol I run with a can all the time. My question is how do I get a heavier buffer then what I have? Mine is unmarked. However, I took it a part and there are 3 weights inside with rubber washers in between each and one rubber wash/spacer at the front. Can I get denser weights then what is inside currently? or do I go with a heavier spring?

I also took a part another buffer that was in a 16" carbine gas AR in 5.56 and it also had the exact same weight configuration inside the buffer.

I looked at these https://www.amazon.com/Tungsten-Rec...96402&sr=8-1&keywords=tungsten+buffer+weights
but it looks like I have those already?

How do I get a heavier buffer? Thanks!

Check the weight on a scale. Kaw Valley makes some 9mm specific buffers. 7.5 oz and a 10 oz. A H3 buffer weighs 5.4 oz and a H2 is 4.6 oz. If the buffer you have is a carbine length you probably have a little room to shim. This will compress the spring and give it a little extra power. Pull your charging handle back and lock the bcg. Now hold the bolt lock and pull the charging handle back and then let it ride foward onto the bolt again. If there is movement between fully charged and it sitting on the bolt latch you can take the buffer spring and buffer out drop some quarters down the tube then reinstall the buffer and spring. Check to see that it still locks back. If it is a LRBHO gun load 1 round shoot it and see if it locks back. I wouldn't shim too much. You would be better off moving to a heavier buffer if it takes more than a couple quarters.

Here are the one that Midway sells, they vary in weight and length.
https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=9mm+ar++buffer&userItemsPerPage=48

The Colt buffer is 5.5oz and a standard length.

There are some heavier ones and some longer ones. I think the longer ones are longer to elliminate the need for a spacer as described by the fella above. The heavier the buffer the more delayed the blowback action will move out of battery.

The heavier and hotter bullets need a heavier buffer.
The guns without a special pistol caliber bolt latch need a longer buffer or a spacer.

If your gun is running well, I would leave it alone.

I can add that my factory stock Colt 9mm runs great, but always puts some gass in my face and it is not suppressed. I my try a heavier buffer someday.

Check the weight on a scale. Kaw Valley makes some 9mm specific buffers. 7.5 oz and a 10 oz. A H3 buffer weighs 5.4 oz and a H2 is 4.6 oz. If the buffer you have is a carbine length you probably have a little room to shim. This will compress the spring and give it a little extra power. Pull your charging handle back and lock the bcg. Now hold the bolt lock and pull the charging handle back and then let it ride foward onto the bolt again. If there is movement between fully charged and it sitting on the bolt latch you can take the buffer spring and buffer out drop some quarters down the tube then reinstall the buffer and spring. Check to see that it still locks back. If it is a LRBHO gun load 1 round shoot it and see if it locks back. I wouldn't shim too much. You would be better off moving to a heavier buffer if it takes more than a couple quarters.

I got 1.25 worth the quarters in my buffer tube lol

Where?! Does it help?

I'll check out the ar10 spring also!
Yep absolutely. It will extend the life of your Bolt catch/latch for sure. I’ve seen bolt latch break off of more than one AR-9 if you have LRBHO take a look and see if it’s getting chunks knocked out of it from your bolt slamming into it hard. Mine was peening pretty badly shooting suppressed, over gassed, and I did the quarter trick and it’s not degraded any more. I would change buffer spring and buffer but I’m about to approve and want that stock I was showing you in the other thread which comes with a proprietary buffer and spring so I’ll just wait

I was thinking it'd be a week or so before I could try the ar10 spring then I remembered I had a complete ar10 lower.... Going to try the quarter trick too if I have the extra room!

Back
Top Bottom