• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Heavier Buffer Question AR9

IMG_1421.JPG
IMG_1420.JPG

Hey I did it ! Upside down but I'll do better next time. First photos I've ever posted ! If someone , mod , or whoever can rotate them go for it !
Just posted a side charging upper for sale. Not like this one tho .

Hey I did it ! Upside down but I'll do better next time. First photos I've ever posted ! If someone , mod , or whoever can rotate them go for it !
Just posted a side charging upper for sale. Not like this one tho .
Awesome man!! Thanks! Looks good I like that integrated a lot! Good on Dobbs

Really nice rigs yall have!

Update: I emailed freedom ordnance and asked them about different buffers and being over gassed just to see what they say. It is super reliable and works, I just wanted to see if I could make it better.

I also went ahead and ordered a kaw valley 7.5oz buffer and extra power spring to play with. Hope it works!

The 9mm thread pops up periodically. There's been a lot of good info posted here ! You can pick and choose what works for you. I realized I also have a 9mm rifle with a 5.5 ounce buffer with one of the newer AR springs that are not piano wire . I used a bottle brush type cylinder hone on the inside of the buffer tube , cleaned and put a light coat of grease on the inside It's much quieter not as much cheese grater noise. Also seems to be a little stiffer spring and a JP bolt cause I like them ! Many many options. Good luck with it and post back how it goes .

So I need some more knowledge ODT. I know my fx-9 is different than other ar9's. But I think I can still tune this thing.

I got the kvp 7.5 ounce bolt. I think it's too long by about 1/4"ish to let the LRBHO engage. I haven't shot it yet, but I know the lrbho won't work now. Please don't give me too much hell, but in the back of my head I was thinking I might could shave that buffer down.... I need to just order a shorter buffer I guess? What would you do? I'm just trying to beef up my buffer weight to tinker.
20180119_083621.jpg

Stock included buffer and spring on the left and the kvp 7.5 and their heavy 308/carbine extra power spring on the right.

Since you asked what I would do: if you want to try something, try the buffer with the factory spring. See if it will hand function/cycle first, if so, go shoot it. I would not care if the bolt locks on the last round.

Then, try it with just the new spring and factory buffer. Then try them both together. I am thinking that the two new parts will combine to prevent the gun from cycling.

The easiest way to tune it would be with hand loaded ammo and the factory setup.

If I may ask, what are you hoping to change about the gun?

Back
Top Bottom