• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Heavy 45 Colt loads

I loaded hot 45 colt to 44 mag velocities for my Ruger Blackhawk. They shot okay and the gun could handle it, but the brass often split, making the unloading process difficult. I believe that my LEE Factory Crimp Die made the brass more likely to split because it overworked to center of the case as it resized the brass. I stopped using it. My opinion is: if you want flexibility between big bore light and hot loads from one gun, buy a 44mag and load them down for the light loads, or shoot 44 Special.

Corbon makes some ammo that you can order online at their web sight for the Colt 45 that is very hot and will not split, I think Buffalo Bore does as well. Seems like the stuff I bought was a 265 grain bullet at 1350 FPS according to CorBon.

i have loaded cor-bons 335gr. hard cast lead. i think it shot just over 1000fps. accuracy was pretty poor out of a 7 1/2" blackhawk. i use 250gr. rnlead for target shooting, even with heavy powder charges the cases "mostly starline" do not crack. hs-6 and 700x are good powders, although there are more that might work better for you. 45lc is probably my favorite round to experiment with. get a chronograph and take far and near readings. you get all the data needed to work up the perfect load for your gun. good luck

Using 255gr SWC for my light loads. 285gr's for a medium load and a heavyweight at 325gr's. Using a lot of HS-6 & 2400 for the light to medium loads. 296/H110 for the heavy.

I cast my own so I can go from one end of the spectrum to the other end if so desired.

Tom

I don't load my own, but I have some older Cor-Bon .45 Colt Magnum +P ammo 300gr. JSP @ 1300 fps & 1126 ft/lbs. muzzle energy that I've shot in my old model Vaquero and they're like shooting a cannon! Just got some 260 gr. JHP @ 1200 fps Ga. Arms ammo a couple of weeks ago from another guy here on the ODT, but I haven't tried them out yet. I also have some Ga. Arms 260 gr. JHP @ 850 fps that are very mild.

I've loaded the 45 Colt in Blackhawks using W296 behind 255g - 325g Hard cast bullets. I haven't had any issues at all. I've loaded the XTP .452 too with excellent accuracy. I've pushed them to the point where I wasn't gaining any more velocity out of 5.5" barrels. I came to the conclusion that I couldn't overload that case with W296 and still seat the bullet. It would just expell a bigger fireball, and heavier recoil, for nothing. A chronograph is a great tool, really a "must have" for loading unconventional loads. I pretty much came to the same conclusion with the .44 mag too. I loaded most of these foolish loads when I was in my 20's. As I told another fellow, "I'm grateful God looks after drunks and fools. I don't have a 45 at the time, but I was loading for a 5.5" Blackhawk as recently as a couple of years back. I was loading using the published T/C Ruger data included in most manuals. My hands want stand the shock of big bore magnums anymore, but I still love em' anyway. W296 is my powder of choice for magnum handgun loads. I shot a lot of different cast bullets, mostly 255g and 300g's. My favorite jacketed bullets are the 300g .452 Hornady XTP Mags. Outstanding accuracy.

Last edited:
Chuckdog I hear you about the abuse that your hands take. I ended up having Herrett's build me a couple of Roper style grips that fitted my hand. Have gotten rid of everything else and am now a firm believer in custom grips! I actually have a third set on order and will probaly order another set when more funds become available.

Like you I stick to published load data. Currently waiting for a custom mold that should be fun to cast with. It is a Cramer style mold that will allow me to cast either a solid or a hollow point. Looks exactly like an LBT LFN bullet that will weigh in at 325gr as a solid and 300gr as a HP.

Tom

I've been a big fan of the 454 Casull for many years, and I can't say enough good about the Super Redhawk in this caliber. I've had several over the years, and they've all shot great. I've never tried this, so I don't know how well it will work. But I've been thinking lately why not try trimming some 454 brass back to 45 Colt length and shooting it in a Blackhawk. The 454 brass does cost more, but it should last a long time. I've loaded Shooting Star brass with seriously heavy 454 loads and gotten great case life. This would take away the concerns many have of the weaker web area of the old low pressure case design. It's just a thought, I can't think of any reason it shouldn't work? I don't have any 454 brass now, but if I find a few, I'll try em'. I sold all my brass, and most of my stock pile of 296 when I sold my last and Casull. Enjoy that 45, they're fun to shoot at any velocity.

Bullets are same diameter at .452 A lot of the older guns had larger bores and that is why a lot of your lead bullets are at .454, same goes for a lot of your imports.

As far as the brass issue is concerned, they quit making the old ballon head style brass decades ago. Modern brass will hold the pressures of any sane load.

Don't rightly know if cutting the 454 brass down would make it any better/safer.

Anyone experiance problems with the loading of heavy for caliber bullets in their wheel guns? My Rugers have presented no problems but I understand that it may be a problem with the 454's?

Tom
Casull does offer their own ammo but the heaviest I have ever seen is 300gr. and its a jacketed design.

Back
Top Bottom