• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hello, I'm mtdawg169 and I'm a parts snob.

IMG_1329.JPG
IMG_1330.JPG

Need a better picture from the top down and a tad closer. Better lighting would be a plus.
I tried to get a little bit better ones. Not sure if you can tell any better or not from these. Apparently I don't know how to work a cell phone camera or the iPhone 7 camera sucks. I'm leaning more toward operator error.

View attachment 1103824 View attachment 1103825

I tried to get a little bit better ones. Not sure if you can tell any better or not from these. Apparently I don't know how to work a cell phone camera or the iPhone 7 camera sucks. I'm leaning more toward operator error.
Well, the stakes aren't bad. But I despise those cheap YFS screws. The head of the screw is shaped wrong, so the stake has less material to push into.

Well, the stakes aren't bad. But I despise those cheap YFS screws. The head of the screw is shaped wrong, so the stake has less material to push into.
Thanks. I was thinking you had mentioned something about those screws earlier in this thread. I think I'm probably going to replace this bcg with a bcm one and rock on.

On a side note. What is the best buffer/spring to run in a mid length?

i've had two lpk's purchased from psa that were missing parts. that did not inspire my confidence much.

i have owned two of their premium/fn uppers which were rock solid. i put about 1 to 2k rounds through each over the years with no issues.

i won't touch anything from them that is labeled ptac, freedom, or not labeled "premium with fn barrel."

i own an anderson stripped upper that is total garbage. it's so out of spec that a red dot sight runs out of adjustment before it zeros. i tried with both a primary arms and an aimpoint pro with the same issue.

this thread has been a great read.

Thanks. I was thinking you had mentioned something about those screws earlier in this thread. I think I'm probably going to replace this bcg with a bcm one and rock on.

On a side note. What is the best buffer/spring to run in a mid length?

Bro, I'm not here trying to tell anyone to spend money on stuff just for the sake of spending more money. You can probably get by without buying a whole new bcg. What bolt carrier group are you currently using?

It's hard to say about buffers because the gas port size varies. I'd usually say H or H2. But the rule of thumb is use the heaviest buffer that your gun will lock on empty, using the weakest ammo that you typically shoot.

Bro, I'm not here trying to tell anyone to spend money on stuff just for the sake of spending more money. You can probably get by without buying a whole new bcg. What bolt carrier group are you currently using?

It's hard to say about buffers because the gas port size varies. I'd usually say H or H2. But the rule of thumb is use the heaviest buffer that your gun will lock on empty, using the weakest ammo that you typically shoot.
Lol I know you aren't. I have no idea what bcg this is. I took this rifle on trade. It was advertised as a spikes. The lower is a crusader but the upper is an ST-22 that has been made into a 5.56. Apparently spikes uses their "milspec" uppers to make their dedicated 22. I'm just trying to learn and looking to replace things with quality parts to get the most out of what I have for now. I haven't shot this rifle much yet, but for 5 mags of mixed independence 5.56 and perfecta .223 and 1 mag of Tula, it has functioned flawlessly.

Lol I know you aren't. I have no idea what bcg this is. I took this rifle on trade. It was advertised as a spikes. The lower is a crusader but the upper is an ST-22 that has been made into a 5.56. Apparently spikes uses their "milspec" uppers to make their dedicated 22. I'm just trying to learn and looking to replace things with quality parts to get the most out of what I have for now. I haven't shot this rifle much yet, but for 5 mags of mixed independence 5.56 and perfecta .223 and 1 mag of Tula, it has functioned flawlessly.
That sounds... not good. A dedicated 22LR upper should be blowback operated and the twist rate is something like 1:12.

I want to build an old school M16 looking rifle. What is your opinion about the Model 1 A2 upper? Or, what would you recommend for this application? Thanks for your help.

Well, if it's a plinker and will NEVER be used as a self defense gun or for training of any sort, then I'd say, replace the gas key and screws and have it restaked. You can send it to me for install as long as you cover return shipping.

If its intended for any serious use, replace the BCG of unknown origin with a known good bcg from BCM, Sionics or Sons of Liberty Gun Works.

Back
Top Bottom