• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help a newb pick a 223 load

jwhit

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
61   0
Reaction score
Guys, I'm a real newb, but excited to get into reloading. Got most tools, built a bench and the press is on the way.

I'd like to solicit some help starting out with my first load. Gonna be 223 used in an AR platform, bbl is 1:7, 11.5". Goals are ignition consistency and volume. Basically, I wanna make 223 to feed a MG. I shoot suppressed so the less gassy and cleaner, the better. I want to get more in depth, loading for accuracy, etc, but down the road.

So, I'm using a Lyman manual and thinking 55gr projectiles are cheaper and seem readily available. I also need help with powder selection and primer selection.

Based on this load data:
55 gr
image.jpeg

50 gr
image.jpeg

Looking at the 55 gr SPT, does it need a SPT? Will these work? http://www.surplusammo.com/223-caliber-224-bullets-armscor-55-grain-fmj-bt-1000-count-free-shipping/

It seems like Varget powder might be a good place to start. Seems pretty versatile and can also be used with heavier bullets. Also was looking at IMR 4895. Thoughts?

Regarding primers, I know I need small rifle primers. I see a lot available like CCI, Win. Are they all essentially the same? Suggestions?

Any advice would be great!

Buying locally will not keep you from paying hazmat fees they are added into the retail of the powders and primers you
purchase online, or locally.

bullets from extreme bullets, or cdnn sports....

just a suggestion

It is not best practice to use that SPT data for a 55 grain FMJ bullet, you should use data specifically for 55 grain FMJ. There is tons of load data for that bullet in 223.

I get powder and primer in bulk online, comes out much cheaper than buying locally if you can combine several things into one shipment. Lots of local places gouge on price (I recently saw a box of wolf primers at a LGS for $50)

Yes Amrscor bullet will work. I have not used the Armscor bullets since Hornady makes a FMJ or Soft Point jacketed 55 grain bullet for the same price or less. The Hornady's are well known to shoot accurately.

Try Slick Guns reloading section to locate any current deals, older deals will help with a price point. 1000K Hornady 55 grain boat tail or soft points for $76.95 posted 4 days ago: http://www.slickguns.com/category/reloading?caliber=249

Powder Valley consistently has the lowest prices for powder and primer but check around too. I'd buy a pound of powder local or at the gun show to try it out and test it or if your pretty sure it's a good-un then save the coin to by in bulk 8lbs. or so to save Hazmat fees.

Primer's should be bought in 5k amounts to obtain a decent price. I don't remember being able to combine powder/primer for shipping so you will pay a separate hazmat fee. As far as type, stick with standard and only use magnum primers if the load dictates it. The standard will normally give you better accuracy. Some are softer, some are harder and you can even buy (proud pricing) AR/M4/M16 specific primers that are a tad harder that the standard primer. Wolf is known for being harder, at least that's the jabbering on the web? Some primers seem to feed a tad better in my progressive primer feeds (Dillon). That's my perception but hand priming never an issue. Wolf packs their primers open end up, so no need to use the primer flip tray.

SELLIER & BELLOT SMALL RIFLE PRIMERS (1000) $22: http://powdervalleyinc.com/

Varget is a very popular powder and versatile. My go to powder used to be AA 2230 (.223) and I think I hear that some favor it for suppressor use. Best to ask a suppressor forum on their experience. I just recently last October obtained a rifle suppressor and don't have a lot of load data/experience with it. The .224 caliber bullet will break the speed of sound and a suppressor won't get rid of that loud report, just make it difficult to locate the source.

IMR 4895? If it's like IMR 4064 then it's a stick powder and will "meter like logs"-Chuckdawg. I don't have time for that. AA 2230 meters like water as do most spherical powders.

I'd suggest loading stacks of 10 rounds or so, slowly increasing the charge. On a calm day, good rest and doing your part on the trigger that rifle, that bullet will tend to prefer a specific amount of powder. I do three round groups as I'm testing ammo not barrels and will find that sweet spot in one setting normally.

If the ammo is to be used in more than one rifle or semi-auto, then I full length re-size and just seat/crimp (lee factory crimp) on the center of the cannelure. For precision (not semi-auto) for one rifle you can neck resize and try to seat the bullet just off the lands if it's not a free bore type of barrel to squeak a bit more accuracy. Beyond that you're splitting really fine hairs that most will never be able to realize.

Last edited:
It is not best practice to use that SPT data for a 55 grain FMJ bullet, you should use data specifically for 55 grain FMJ. There is tons of load data for that bullet in 223
That's one thing that confused me. The Lyman manual only offers load data on a 55gr SPT. Nothing for a 55 gr FMJ.

Back
Top Bottom