• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help! Byron Ferguson Handmade Longbow Question

RedClayScott

Bear Icon
PapaBear
29   0
Reaction score
Hello Everyone - I need a little help understanding what I have. I picked up this Byron Ferguson Handmade Longbow at a yardsale for $3.00...kidding! I actually paid $130 for it at an auction. In the picture, it's the one on the right and it's a lefty.

I've researched these longbows and it looks like his son is currently making the handmade longbows. This longbow looks to be signed by Byron Ferguson but I've compared signatures and I don't think it's his. Are these bows produced by his son, or someone else, and then signed by his son with the intention of this being a Byron Ferguson designed bow? One thing is for sure - this isn't one of the newer bows made by Bear. It has some age and is in incredible condition. It came with a nice case and was cared for by the previous owners. Looks like someone blacked out the last name of the individual it was made for.

Think this one was made by Byron? Either way, what is a bow like this worth?

Both Bows.jpg

Inside Bottom.jpg

Inside Top.jpg

Leather.jpg

bottom.jpg

I'm not extremely familiar with his bows, but it's a beautiful bow. From the black on the front of the riser it kinda looks like one of his safari bows. What's the draw weight? Is the case a Byron case also? Definitely a deal for $130!

Hey thanks! It's a beast - 71 lb left handed bow. I received email confirmation from Byron's website that it was indeed made by Byron himself and shipped out in 1996. The case isn't the original that byron shipped it in but it is a nice one. I've looked everywhere and can't find any record of one of Byron's handmade bows being resold. With that said, I still have no idea what the bow is worth.

One thing's for sure. It is smooth, powerful and quiet. Definitely a joy to have.

I don't know what the resale value would be off the top of my head. I have been out of the traditional bow world for quite a few years now. I have been searching for a certain recurve though, I do miss the simplicity of it. If you want I can pm you some contact info on guys that will know more about the bow. Or go over to gon forum under archery, under traditional and post some pictures. There are a few guys that are pretty knowledgeable.

I love the look of a recurve bow.

Compound bows, especially the short ones with huge cams, may be "efficient." But they are Fugly.
Like a Glock.
I suppose after 30 years I'll get used to them. Today when I see a Glock I no longer think "Damn, what an ugly thing that is!" But I did, from 1985 to the early 2000's.

Both of these are sharp-looking bows, and I hope you enjoy using them.

Back
Top Bottom