• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help deciphering fish trap plans

ddennis

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
45   0
Reaction score
Hey gang - I'm a reasonably smart guy (I think anyway)..but I'll be danged if I can get this figured out. Makes no sense to me. (I failed geometry twice if that tells ya anything). http://georgiawildlife.com/sites/default/files/wrd/pdf/regulations/GDNRFishBasketPlans.pdf

I have one started - got the middle throat figured out...but can't seem to get the first one right. Anyone have a simpler diagram or can 'splain to me what the heck they mean?

Thanks!

D

Looks pretty easy. But you're right, the language they use is odd to me.

It looks like two funnels inside a rocket with a trap door on the rocket tip.

I've tried it several times and couldn't get it, I'm a former sheetmetal worker too lol.
Can make anything you want or need with a piece of metal, these traps had me cussing up a storm.
Finally went by the local feed & seed, they had dozens for sale at $25 a piece, that's how I figured it out.
I bought one and copied it lol.

Here, try this:

Step # 1: Cut main cylinder from 1-inch mesh galvanized chicken wire.
Step # 2: Form main cylinder by lacing out edges (A) together. Reinforced side (Selvage
edge) is at top and bottom of cylinder. Cylinder should be flattened
approximately 19" across bottom to prevent rolling.
Step # 3: Install supporting hoops and fasten one end of cylinder. Hoops are made from
10-gauge wire or larger and placed 17" apart. Place rod entirely across rear end
of trap and fasten with pig rings.
Step # 4: Cut out throats using pattern in diagram. Pattern may be laid out on table or
workbench, using nail, string and pencil.
Step # 5: Form throats and cut openings. Fold straight edges of throat together, thus
forming cone. Make straight cut across # 1 at six-inch diameter. Make cut
across throat # 2 at nine-inch diameter, tilting cut 1" from vertical toward front.
Step # 6: Make frame and trap door for # 2 throat. Gate frame is made from 9 Ga. wire 7
1/2" square and laced to cut opening of throat #2. Trap door made from 9 Ga.
wire 7 1/2" square and covered with chicken wire. Trap door fastened to gate
frame with pig rings so that it swings freely.
Step # 7: Make fish removal door and install throats. Fish removal door is made in same
manner and from same material as gate frame and trap door on throat #2. Place
in top rear one-third of basket for easy removal of fish and for placing bait.
Throats are fastened in basket to reinforcing hoops at 17" in intervals. Pig rings
or lacing wire may be used.
General: Drop line is fastened to hoop #2 at top of basket for best results. Life of basket is
greatly increased by dipping in hot tar. Double dipped wire gives much better
service. For bait, pressed cotton seed meal cake has been found to give good
results

Hey gang - I'm a reasonably smart guy (I think anyway)..but I'll be danged if I can get this figured out. Makes no sense to me. (I failed geometry twice if that tells ya anything). http://georgiawildlife.com/sites/default/files/wrd/pdf/regulations/GDNRFishBasketPlans.pdf

I have one started - got the middle throat figured out...but can't seem to get the first one right. Anyone have a simpler diagram or can 'splain to me what the heck they mean?

Thanks!

D
All this seems awfully time consuming and overly complicated. We always made a simple 12"-14" diameter cylinder out of hardware cloth, with an inverted cone on one end to accept fish of appropriate size. The other end was a simple round door, wired in place so it was easily opened. No turtles could get in, and it was usually filled with baitfish after a couple of hours.

As the_great_white the_great_white mentioned, cottonseed meal cakes are an effective bait...just throw them or pieces of white bread inside.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Don't know of any feed and seed's near me that would have any. These are pretty big (about 6' long) for catfish, not baitfish. the_great_white the_great_white I'll try your revised directions tonight or tomorrow. Hitting up Santee Cooper for the first time at the end of the month, and thinking about dropping 2 of these off (most the govt will let you do on one $50 license) while I am out fishing.

Don't know of any feed and seed's near me that would have any. These are pretty big (about 6' long) for catfish, not baitfish. the_great_white the_great_white I'll try your revised directions tonight or tomorrow. Hitting up Santee Cooper for the first time at the end of the month, and thinking about dropping 2 of these off (most the govt will let you do on one $50 license) while I am out fishing.

I assume you'll be coming down I-20 from winder to santee, Mcduffie feed & seed in Thomson, Ga is right off the interstate and where I got mine, they have em from 2 foot - 8 feet
Good luck at Santee, I'm sure you'll get some nice catfish there.
My family is from Sumter and we get together and run trot lines there, caught 10 over 20 pounds last spring, can't wait to go this year.

Back
Top Bottom