• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help getting snake out of the garage

I am having a hard time with the pic. My first reaction was copperhead but I do agree with a few others that a banded water snake can look quite similar, in the dark, if you are startled, and with a bad/fuzzy pic. I know that at that size, the copperhead will have a clearly visible "copper head", shiny and penny colored.

Water snakes are quite thick. Generally you can get an idea of venomous vs non venomous by the thick body, but a water snake does blow that theory/method. I found a water snake in my garden, tangled in netting at this time of year. Given the rain, and the frogs (which they eat), it is quite possibly a water snake. If you are not totally afraid, try to identify and don't kill a water snake.

Good luck. I have a fear of spiders, and every one I encounter dies, so I do understand.

Oh, and...... All you need is a good shovel. If it is a copperhead, you can kill it with a shovel, and not do any damage to your floors/walls, etc. Snakes have a decent strike, but they don't have super powers. We have dispatched many 2-3 foot copperheads in the yard with a shovel.

Back
Top Bottom