• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help. Granddaughter insect bite. Need advice.

Lionheart

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
En vino veritas
210   0
Reaction score
15E48E7F-4CB8-422A-9F8D-122675D967CF.jpeg
1A3D3585-4605-460C-B504-91B315C5B929.jpeg
EB3B14C4-D43D-4251-83E8-23DCEB4BDBD9.jpeg
1EC2D9AC-714A-4409-B7A7-56654BA0B0B4.jpeg
15E48E7F-4CB8-422A-9F8D-122675D967CF.jpeg

Ok. My granddaughter Lylli was bitten last night. We don’t know what it was...last night she pointed it out and it looked like a mosquito bite.
She got a bandaid. This morning she said it hurt but it didn’t look bad so she got a new bandaid.
Just now her mom showed it to me...her forearm is noticeably swollen and it looks bruised. I looked closely and can’t see the classic two fangs of a spider bite but it looks like a brown recluse bite symptoms to me.
Poor baby has no health insurance so I’m trying to decide whether to take her to ER now or wait till morning to go to health clinic.
Advice? Any doctors or nurses out there? Can we give her benedryl? At 3 1/2 yrs old?

A few years ago my son ( 2 years old at the time) had a knot almost the size of a golf ball pop up on his eyebrow. We freaked out and took him to the E.R. at Children's Healthcare. Turned out it was just a mosquito bite. Doctor said that at that age their skin is just so sensitive that they sometimes will react that way. He was fine the next day. That being said, I would still take her to the E.R. tonight just to be safe. Just my opinion.

Have it looked at if it doesn't improve overnight , would be my opinion.
If you do give benedryl i would only give a half dose to start...(12.5mg)
Benedryl type topical cream on bite would not hurt either.

Just my O2 as a father.

I would check the house especially her bed area for southern devils. They are tiny little scorpions, no bigger than a fingernail.

My son had a bite like that 15 years ago, and we found a dead southern devil in his room a few days later.

And I’d use a little topical Benadryl.

He’s fine now.

If you see any streaking starting up the arm go straight to the ER. If the streaking gets to the heart, that’s all.

Otherwise I’d just use the topical Benadryl.

Agree with previous post. Use a pen and circle the affected area. If it grows go in. If you see red or black lines go in. Cold compress would help(pain). Just what they told us on a spider bite for my 4 year old.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

We usually wait. We try to give it time for a good symptom to appear for the Dr to go on. That rash might be enough.
Does she have a fever?

Thanks for all the responses, advice and prayers. Couldn’t take a chance with this angel so we went to the ER...all good now we hope. See below...

32BD4C59-DF2D-45FB-9360-1476023DA88C.jpeg
L
Little Lylli was a trooper at the ER...never cried once and took her medicine with only a small face at the taste. They do not think it is a brown recluse bite. They called it a skin infection (probably triggered by an insect bite) and gave an oral dose of Keflex and an antibiotic prescription for tomorrow .
Thanks for all the concern and prayers... we are home now and tucked in for the night. The local COOKOUT folks even gave her a free milkshake for being so good at the ER.
All the St Mary’s caregivers were very kind to her...best (and shortest) ER trip ever.
Public shoutout for the Athens St Mary’s ER and COOKOUT folks.

It seems to look like the beginning stage of Cellulitis. Yes, it can be something that was as simple as a prior insect bite. I had a bad case of Cellulitis from an insect bite, when I was at Parris Island USMC recruit training many years ago. Just a word of advice. If prescribed Keflex... take the medication until it's all gone. Even if the symptoms reside. Was she running a fever prior to going to the ER?

Back
Top Bottom