• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help!!!!!!! I’m sick and don’t know what to do about this probate letter

I'd go and ask what the problem is.
If it's not something you can easily clear up by just explaining sonething, or testifying that you are not that other guy who used your name when they were arrested and you don't even know that dude, and you don't look anything like him according to his booking photo... then if it's more involved than that, you have a choice:

1-- Ask The judge to schedule a future hearing date where you have an opportunity to get witnesses, get certified copies of documents, and otherwise prepare a case to show that you are qualified for that license. Show whatever the probate judge is concerned about either doesn't apply to you or it's not a disqualifying offense anyway.

or...

2-- You tell the judge that she needs to make her decision based on your application and the criminal history report and mental history that is returned under your name . Nothing else should even be considered. The law does not allow the probate judge to conduct her own investigation, but merely to review the records of your criminal and mental history reports, and your responses to the questions on the application. There will be no hearing, no further evidence gathered, no testimony.

If the probate judge wrongly denies your GWL, sue for mandamus (a superior court telling an inferior court to issue the license) and seek 100% reimbursement of your attorneys fees.

I'd go and ask what the problem is.
If it's not something you can easily clear up by just explaining sonething, or testifying that you are not that other guy who used your name when they were arrested and you don't even know that dude, and you don't look anything like him according to his booking photo... then if it's more involved than that, you have a choice:

1-- Ask The judge to schedule a future hearing date where you have an opportunity to get witnesses, get certified copies of documents, and otherwise prepare a case to show that you are qualified for that license. Show whatever the probate judge is concerned about either doesn't apply to you or it's not a disqualifying offense anyway.

or...

2-- You tell the judge that she needs to make her decision based on your application and the criminal history report and mental history that is returned under your name . Nothing else should even be considered. The law does not allow the probate judge to conduct her own investigation, but merely to review the records of your criminal and mental history reports, and your responses to the questions on the application. There will be no hearing, no further evidence gathered, no testimony.

If the probate judge wrongly denies your GWL, sue for mandamus (a superior court telling an inferior court to issue the license) and seek 100% reimbursement of your attorneys fees.
plan on going there when you have a few days clear. Just in case you end up, er um, detained....

i figured I would reach out to my ODTers for a better idea of what’s going on.

A few weeks ago I did my due diligence and renewed my carry license. I originally got it in one county, renewed in another, the lady called the original county to make sure everything was good to go. I paid, I got a temp license. And I patiently waited for my new one.

I check the mail today and I saw I had a letter from the probate court regarding my license, but with no license inside reading:

“In processing your application certain priveleges information has been brought to the attention of this court, which must be addressed......blah blah blah, can’t talk about it over the phone or email. Please show up within 10 days of this letter or application will be denied... blah blah blah....”
Seriously ... wtf.. I have a clean record, no other issues and I have a knot in my stomach the size of a. Basketball.Anyone ever experience anything like this?!
Please help, or at least give me an idea of what I’m walking in to!!!!

You don't say what county, but most probate judges are very helpful.

Whatever it is, can't be too big a problem, or the judge would have denied the application out of hand.

Saying that, I see it as positive that they want you to come in and clear something up.

Back
Top Bottom