• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help Identifing this 7.62X51 please

LordMDP

Default rank <1000 posts Lifetime Supporter
Frontiersman
20   0
Reaction score
My father gave me some ammunition. Need help finding out what it is and where it came from. I'm paranoid of old military surplus ammo and corrosive powder.

Attachments

• 308 bullet.jpg
    308 bullet.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 308 bullets.jpg
    308 bullets.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 52
That looks like an IMI headstamp but that is not an Israeli box . I will look at my big book later and see what it says

I have some Chinese .308, the primer looks the same and the red sealer. If it's Chinese , consider it corrosive. I know, you just have to clean it..But, the red sealer on my ammo flakes off and loads up my M1a..a mess. Good luck.

The communist Chinese would not be making .308 /7.62 ammo back in 1972, would they? They didn't have any guns that used this cartridge.

Maybe the Republic of Taiwan?

I don't know how to do a Google search for those strange symbols above the date; they aren't letters are they ?

The primer looks rounded rather than flat. That's an old-fashioned type of primer for sure. In the United States I think we stopped using rounded primers back in the 1940s or 50s.

The communist Chinese would not be making .308 /7.62 ammo back in 1972, would they? They didn't have any guns that used this cartridge. The Chinese made Carbine ammo dated 1952 . They will copy anything

Maybe the Republic of Taiwan? Maybe

I don't know how to do a Google search for those strange symbols above the date; they aren't letters are they ?

The primer looks rounded rather than flat. That's an old-fashioned type of primer for sure. In the United States I think we start using a rounded primers back in the 1940s or 50s.

Outside the US you still see they round style primers much later

Back
Top Bottom