• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help identifying German Mauser

righter13

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
25   0
Reaction score
photo (2).jpgphoto (3).jpgphoto 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpgphoto 5.jpg

Any information you guys can shed on this rifle would be awesome. It got handed down to me by my grandfather who got it from a local guy wayyyy back in the day who says it was a WWI bring back but I see not Nazi marks.

It's an early Pre WWI Erfurt Gewher 98. with a mismatched bolt shroud and safety. There won't be any nazi marks unless it had been redone by the Nazis in the 30's. That gun has imperial marks on it. Nice looking rifle.

Another thing I will add is the early rifles like this are unlike the k98ks. These rifles didn't have blued receivers....that's why the finish on the receiver and the bolt are different than the barrel.

It's an early Pre WWI Erfurt Gewher 98. with a mismatched bolt shroud and safety. There won't be any nazi marks unless it had been redone by the Nazis in the 30's. That gun has imperial marks on it. Nice looking rifle.
I know very little about German markings. Would you say this could have been used in WWI? That's the family story behind it but never was able to confirm it.

As mattakinbimwalker said, an early GEW 98, probably used in WW I. Need to see a photo of the whole rifle. Many of these were given to the Turks and others reworked. The bent bolt indicates that something was done to the rifle as the GEW had a straight bolt. They were also used by rear echelon troops in WW II.

Back
Top Bottom