• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help identifying Spikes AR model

Jerry

Default rank <4000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
97   0
Reaction score
I bought this gun on here about a week ago and would like to know a little more about it, was it a build, complete rifle?
76b12b31776c47b5765fc96e3319310c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will the person you got it from not tell you the details? Like everyone else has said, appears to be a build. Not that a build is necessarily a bad thing.

I’ve sent him a message letting him know I’m happy with the gun, just wanted to know a little bit more about it. No response, he didn’t leave feedback either so I just assume he doesn’t use the forum that often.

Don't be discouraged if it is a build. I have been building my own rifles for years now and most are just as good as a name brand builds these days and compared to some a lot better. With these guns for instance, you buy all the same parts from the same factory, you can build a gun just as good that comes from the manufacturer. The manufacturers don't have magic wands the wave over the gun and say " Abracadabra " and all of a sudden the gun gets better than one person can build in their shop. I have many AR's and only one is a shelf gun. It's a 2004 Bushmaster that was my first AR15 and it's a real good gun, shoots like a dream. Even if it is a build don't worry about it. The only drawback to building one is the resale. You will never get out of it what you put in them. I built a AR10 that cost me 1,800 to build. It will shoot factory ammo at .375 MOA but just because it doesn't have Colt on it, it will never command the resale a Colt will. These guns are so easy to build there is absolutely no reason why everybody shouldn't be building their own. There in lies one problem. Idiots are slapping them together and giving builds a bad rap because they don't do the small things like staking, thread locker on certain parts, torquing screw and barrel nuts to the right specs ect. ect. ect.... So rock that gun like it's a LWRC. If you ever have a problem these guns are so modular it can be fixed for little of nothing to repair. It's a good looking gun. The ceracote and color fill look awesome, that color looks good with the black accents. The builder had taste I will give that to him. I think it's a damn good looking rifle. It should get a lot of looks for sure. He sunk a lot of time and money in that gun.

Don't worry about the castle nut not being staked. I just use permanent thread locker so I can remove it without marring up the threads and finish on the buffer tube. A lot of manufacturers don't stake the castle nut for that reason. It would damage the buffer tube beyond repair if you stake them. Stake the gas key but not the castle nut. That's a preference not an absolute. Try removing the buffer tube on a A2 stock. It's a pain in the ass. That's because they use permanent thread locker and everyone I have seen was not staked from the factory.

Back
Top Bottom