• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help Identifying Wood, Trying to Match

Joshua223

Default rank <4000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
54   0
Reaction score
I'm trying to find the right wood/color so the people renovating my wife's future office can order the right type of door.
Door in pic was chosen by decorator so owner doesn't know what it is. We want something similar to this. A stain is probably giving it most of its color, but if anyone has an educated guess about the wood type it would be appreciated. Oak stained darker maybe?

mmexport1544126844998.jpg

Hard to tell from the pic but I'm guessing a 'natural cherry' is the stain. The wood I'd have to see up close to get an idea of grain.

That is what I have always heard called a luan door.

Luan or lauan simply refers to the use of a plywood veneer on a hollow core door. A solid door, often sold as a slab, should be just that, solid, and not a hollow core design. However, it could be a stained lauan door but you can tell by the weight of it, as well as the "thud" when you knock on it.

I love buying a solid core door at Lowes or Home Depot with a nice veneer if it's damaged, say dropped on a corner. They'll sell those things cheap to git shed of them. Rip the damaged end and tack some moulding around the edge and you have a fantastic workbench top.

Back
Top Bottom