• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help! MDT LSS or XLR Element chassis experience???

Cohutta68

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
28   0
Reaction score
Please help if you can.

I'm planning to replace the factory stock on my Tikka tactical 308. Its the 20" barrel. I really like the bolt gun, minus the stock.

I've been cruising the inter-webs and have been hearing alot about the MDT LSS (or (LSS XL), but also about the XLR Element.

I am hoping to stay about or under $600's... does anybody have any experience with any of these? If I'm really lucky, do you have one I can fondle near Kennesaw? Any actual experience will be helpful.

Really wish I could handle them somewhere and make a choice.

Cheers ODT

Links
XLR Element
https://xlrindustries.com/products/element-chassis

MDT LSS XL
https://mdttac.com/lss-xl-chassis-system.html

0fa3e9bf79798bb9a10f243ad7684e63.jpg

Easy choice, the XLR. For reasons I cannot explain the XLR is one of the softest shooting, most direct recoiling chassis (the softest I've shot) on the market. And I've shot just about everything out there from AI, Mega, PDC, MDT, APO etc. Also the MDTs forend doesn't extend near far enough for my liking for bipod use.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Easy choice, the XLR. For reasons I cannot explain the XLR is one of the softest shooting, most direct recoiling chassis (the softest I've shot) on the market. And I've shot just about everything out there from AI, Mega, PDC, MDT, APO etc. Also the MDTs forend doesn't extend near far enough for my liking for bipod use.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thanks!

I believe i am leaning twards the XLR as you said. Agree on the short LSS. Would go with at least the LSS XL (3" longer) if I did go that rought.

Most shops have the MDT in stock on either a Savage Stealth or Mossberg MVP-LC. Should be able to get your hands on one of those pretty easily, although they will have a different stock than what you have pictured.

$600 on a chassis is tough to hold to. IMHO, chassis' are very personal. If those don't do it for you, save up a couple hundred extra bucks and your options open up a bit. The XLR evolution chassis is quite popular as well.

Now directly answering your question, the XLR element, out of the two you listed, would be my choice. The MDT doesn't really do it for me. Short and rounded forend, angled magwell and plain looks ugly in my eyes. But once again, chassis are personal. If something you truly likes costs a few hundo more, go ahead and get what you like. You are pretty well married to your chassis after you purchase it. You'll never get your money back on it.

Most shops have the MDT in stock on either a Savage Stealth or Mossberg MVP-LC. Should be able to get your hands on one of those pretty easily, although they will have a different stock than what you have pictured.

$600 on a chassis is tough to hold to. IMHO, chassis' are very personal. If those don't do it for you, save up a couple hundred extra bucks and your options open up a bit. The XLR evolution chassis is quite popular as well.

Now directly answering your question, the XLR element, out of the two you listed, would be my choice. The MDT doesn't really do it for me. Short and rounded forend, angled magwell and plain looks ugly in my eyes. But once again, chassis are personal. If something you truly likes costs a few hundo more, go ahead and get what you like. You are pretty well married to your chassis after you purchase it. You'll never get your money back on it.

Thanks! I may look around a little bit see if I can find it in stock somewhere.

I will check out the XLR evolution as well. I don't mind spending a little extra, I'm just not totally sure I want to be married to this rifle. So far I like it a lot.

Thanks for the other comments!

I think the definite requirements are a free-floated barrel. My tikka has a very heavy profile barrel..
A good quality bipod mount.
And something that can keep the stock short, for carrying. Not totally set on that, but I generally don't like a very long length of Pull..
It will be my long-range gun probably. But I also may carry it around in deer season a little. So I want to keep it as light as possible. I don't mind the recoil.

Back
Top Bottom