• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help (me) a computer stupid guy

harrycalahan

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
115   0
Reaction score
Got a new laptop a couple months ago. The anti-virus has now expired. Its prompting me to renew Mcafee. Will that suffice or should I go with Norton like my dad does?

McAfee & Norton used to be pretty resource-demanding. That is to say, they tended to cause computers to run slower than alternative AV software that was equally or better performing. I’m not sure who’s on top anymore (you can google “2018 antivirus anti-malware benchmark” to see comparisons), but I use Windows Defender & Windows Firewall along with Malwarebytes, for what seems to be a pretty lightweight protection package. Also, stay off risky sites & don’t open sketchy emails.

Got a new laptop a couple months ago. The anti-virus has now expired. Its prompting me to renew Mcafee. Will that suffice or should I go with Norton like my dad does?

Hello sir. Use AVG or Adaware, both are free and are really good at detecting threats and eliminating them. They do have their premium services too if you want to spend the money. If you DO want to spend some money get bitdefender. I believe bitdefender does have a free service as well. You usually can catch a deal for 20 or 30 bucks for bitdefender antivirus protection on 5 devices. Just gotta look around on the web.

By the way I was referred by a tech savvy friend of mine who builds PCs. All three of those recommendations are top notch. Mcafee and Norton are also taxing on the computer system, uninstall one and you will see how much space you've gained back.

If you have comcast they give you norton 360 for "included". If you have charter they give you F-Secure "included".

So check with your provider to see if they offer something like this, most large providers will include this in the cost of your monthly bill.

Back
Top Bottom