.308 or 6.5?

• 6.5 creedmore

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • .308 win

Votes: 29 61.7%
  • Tacos

Votes: 7 14.9%

• Total voters
Really this article should clear up any misconceptions on terminal ballistics between the two.
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/06/jeremy-s/6-5-creedmoor-vs-308-winchester/

While porky .308 is about 250 ft-lbs of energy more powerful at the muzzle, a match 6.5 CM load has already surpassed a match .308 load’s retained energy after only 160 yards of flight. At 1,000 yards it can have twice the kinetic energy. Even within that short distance where .308 pushes more ft-lbs, the higher sectional density of the 6.5 projectile — the same reason it’s so aerodynamic — often results in improved penetration in game. We’ll have to do some testing, though, to see if a deer or elk at point blank range can tell the difference between 2,400 ft-lbs and 2,650 ft-lbs.

Bottom line for hunters: a 6.5 Creedmoor can take the same game as .308 and do it just as well as .308 at close ranges. But past a couple hundred yards, there’s simply no contest; 6.5 flat-out dominates. And as the range increases, so does the brutal domination.
Notice how the article compares the energy of the 147gr 6.5 (pretty much the heaviest bullet available) to the 308 NATO round? That's a 146 to 150 grain bullet. Now do the comparison to the heavier 308 rounds available and you are often talking about a 400 foot pound difference at the muzzle. That difference can mean a lot at typical hunting distances. A .30 caliber bullet requires a higher bullet weight to get into it's best BC. That means the heavier bullet with more muzzle energy and a higher BC will also maintain that energy better than the 150 grain NATO round. The 147 in 6.5 is delivering max BC and energy for that caliber.

The primary positive I have been pointing out is the 308's ability to handle heavier bullets. Like I have said, on deer size game the difference is unimportant. However, if you are hunting an Elk or Moose, which would you have more confidence in, a 147 grain 6.5 or a 180 grain 308. What about a big Black Bear or 400 pound hog?

Not at all. Most dangerous game rounds are actually quite slow.

Dangerous game rounds are slow and heavy designed with penetration in mind. Varmint rounds are fast and light designed to instantly dump all of their energy.
Completely different terminal ballistics and would have different results if the velocities were adjusted.

Notice how the article compares the energy of the 147gr 6.5 (pretty much the heaviest bullet available) to the 308 NATO round? That's a 146 to 150 grain bullet. Now do the comparison to the heavier 308 rounds available and you are often talking about a 400 foot pound difference at the muzzle. That difference can mean a lot at typical hunting distances. A .30 caliber bullet requires a higher bullet weight to get into it's best BC. That means the heavier bullet with more muzzle energy and a higher BC will also maintain that energy better than the 150 grain NATO round. The 147 in 6.5 is delivering max BC and energy for that caliber.

The primary positive I have been pointing out is the 308's ability to handle heavier bullets. Like I have said, on deer size game the difference is unimportant. However, if you are hunting an Elk or Moose, which would you have more confidence in, a 147 grain 6.5 or a 180 grain 308. What about a big Black Bear or 400 pound hog?
It says 7.62 NATO as the chambering not a bullet. Where in that article does it use a 150 grain .308? It mentions .308 match ammo, m118lr, shows graphs using 168 and 178 bullets.

Really this article should clear up any misconceptions on terminal ballistics between the two.
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/06/jeremy-s/6-5-creedmoor-vs-308-winchester/

While porky .308 is about 250 ft-lbs of energy more powerful at the muzzle, a match 6.5 CM load has already surpassed a match .308 load’s retained energy after only 160 yards of flight. At 1,000 yards it can have twice the kinetic energy. Even within that short distance where .308 pushes more ft-lbs, the higher sectional density of the 6.5 projectile — the same reason it’s so aerodynamic — often results in improved penetration in game. We’ll have to do some testing, though, to see if a deer or elk at point blank range can tell the difference between 2,400 ft-lbs and 2,650 ft-lbs.

Bottom line for hunters: a 6.5 Creedmoor can take the same game as .308 and do it just as well as .308 at close ranges. But past a couple hundred yards, there’s simply no contest; 6.5 flat-out dominates. And as the range increases, so does the brutal domination.

The 6.5 Swede has been killing Moose for about 100 years.

Buy, Shoot, & Hunt with what you want.

They use soft points primarily over there, but I can’t help but believe a Bonded tipped American bullet would be Superior.

Especially a 140/2 gran Accubond clicking along @ 2800 out of say a .260.

58f966935110215088ec521ea7a49509.png

Again,

The 6.5 Swede has been piling up Moose for forever.

Y’all are splitting hairs.

This isn’t a 45 ACP thread.

While porky .308 is about 250 ft-lbs of energy more powerful at the muzzle, a match 6.5 CM load has already surpassed a match .308 load’s retained energy after only 160 yards of flight. ...a 6.5 Creedmoor can take the same game ... past a couple hundred yards, there’s simply no contest; 6.5 flat-out dominates. And as the range increases, so does the brutal domination.

This juvenile hyperbole, ("porky" "brutal dominstion" ), like the amateurish breathless tabloid-style writing found in the linked article, tells me that you 6.5 creed fans are desperate to try to sell your favorite cartridge.

I'm not knocking the 6.5 Creed as a long range hunting round or a long range target round. But within 400 yards (which is within the max range of most people for an ethical shot at game animsls, even for excellent marksman and the best, most skillful hunters) it has NO practical advantage over a .308.
Or a .30-06, or .270, or 7mm-O8, or a 7 x 57 Mauser, or a 6.5 Swede...

Back
Top Bottom