.308 or 6.5?

• 6.5 creedmore

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • .308 win

Votes: 29 61.7%
  • Tacos

Votes: 7 14.9%

• Total voters
Dangerous game rounds are slow and heavy designed with penetration in mind. Varmint rounds are fast and light designed to instantly dump all of their energy.
Completely different terminal ballistics and would have different results if the velocities were adjusted.
Yep and most big game animals are somewhere between those two extremes, so a proper balance is what is needed for best terminal ballistics. Thus, speed alone is not the most important factor in terminal ballistics for big game.

It says 7.62 NATO as the chambering not a bullet. Where in that article does it use a 150 grain .308? It mentions .308 match ammo, m118lr, shows graphs using 168 and 178 bullets.
You're right, but a lot of the numbers they use must come from a light 308 bullet. If that's not the case, then the numbers they are presenting are just wrong. Like the general statement that the 308 only has a 250lbs advantage at the muzzle when many 308 rounds exceed 400lbs more energy than the heaviest 6.5 bullets. A lot of the info in this article has obviously been cherry picked to favor the 6.5 and is not an honest comparison.

Again,

The 6.5 Swede has been piling up Moose for forever.

Y’all are splitting hairs.

This isn’t a 45 ACP thread.
Sure it has and you can kill a deer with a 22lr. My question was which round would you be more confidant with.

Also, this thread is about which cartridge is best for hunting. When you consider you have commercially loaded bullet weights designed for big game all the way from 125 grains to 185 grains in the 308, the 308's versatility makes it the easy winner.

Sure it has and you can kill a deer with a 22lr. My question was which round would you be more confidant with.

Also, this thread is about which cartridge is best for hunting. When you consider you have commercially loaded bullet weights designed for big game all the way from 125 grains to 185 grains in the 308, the 308's versatility makes it the easy winner.

Deer Hunting is the topic Bear.

There isn’t a nickels worth of difference in the 2 when Deer Hunting, Bear.

Back
Top Bottom