.308 or 6.5?

• 6.5 creedmore

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • .308 win

Votes: 29 61.7%
  • Tacos

Votes: 7 14.9%

• Total voters
By the way, PoppaMike, the correct name of that 6.5 round you're considering is the CreedMOOR. "Moor" not "more." It's a reference to the NRA's official shooting range on Long Island, then the outskirts of New York City, in the 1870s through around 1905, I think, when it was closed to the public and later closed permanently.
"Moor" is a term for a field or grassy hills.
Check out the big brain on Brad!

ECD24D80-89A0-4AA1-AB93-84C0E0630A1A.jpeg
Do you have the corresponding velocity chart?

By the way, PoppaMike, the correct name of that 6.5 round you're considering is the CreedMOOR. "Moor" not "more." It's a reference to the NRA's official shooting range on Long Island, then the outskirts of New York City, in the 1870s through around 1905, I think, when it was closed to the public and later closed permanently.
"Moor" is a term for a field or grassy hills.
Thank you for educating me on this. I was unsure about the correct spelling and just guessed.

Then why does it take less elevation for my 6.5 than my .308 at distances less than 800 yards of it has no real ballistic advantage? Less drop and less wind drift seem like characteristics of a ballistic advantage.

The bc of a bullet is less of a factor than the velocity of a bullet at distances of 500 yards and in.
The wind drift difference is negligible within 800 yards. Elevation means almost nothing at known distances.

The biggest advantage of the 6.5 is that the bullet stays supersonic longer.

Don't get me wrong, my favorite long range rifle is a 6.5CM and I don't even own a dedicated 308 hunting rifle, but the 6.5 is not the magic pill that many people seem to think it is.

The primary thing is that the 308 is simply a more capable hunting cartridge. It can be loaded with a heavier bullets for larger game and the bullets are not as easily deflected if they happen to hit a leaf or a bone.

Deer sized game won't be able to tell the difference from an average hit from either of these weapons, but when pushing the parameters, the 308 wins in everything other than max range.

The wind drift difference is negligible within 800 yards. Elevation means almost nothing at known distances.

The biggest advantage of the 6.5 is that the bullet stays supersonic longer.

Don't get me wrong, my favorite long range rifle is a 6.5CM and I don't even own a dedicated 308 hunting rifle, but the 6.5 is not the magic pill that many people seem to think it is.

The primary thing is that the 308 is simply a more capable hunting cartridge. It can be loaded with a heavier bullets for larger game and the bullets are not as easily deflected if they happen to hit a leaf or a bone.

Deer sized game won't be able to tell the difference from an average hit from either of these weapons, but when pushing the parameters, the 308 wins in everything other than max range.
I never said anything about hunting or it being a magic pill. I just disagreed that it took 800 yards for the 6.5 to be ballistically superior. Less drop + less drift = superior ballistics.

Back
Top Bottom