• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help me, I'm hot.

OK, the internet is a wonderful thing. The spiffy free standing units are a very poor second to just an old fashioned small window unit. I didn't want to mess with a window unit because of bushes outside, but I will manage. So off to HD tomorrow AM for a small 5000 btu unit, my room is only about 150 sq feet. Got the grandson here to help with the outside work and an outlet handy on the inside.
I installed window units from the inside.

This one installs easy from the inside and cools a room great. Brought my wife home from the hospital and our central AC went out. Needed something fast to keep her cool until the unit was fixed. This was easy for me to install in a window by myself and It got the room icey cold! The bedroom is only about 200sq ft but I could feel it down the hall. Only $169.

I do not care for the security aspects of window units and the side slidey things. Especially if it is a man cave with valuables in it.

I do not care for the security aspects of window units and the side slidey things. Especially if it is a man cave with valuables in it.
Good point. This bedroom was high off the ground with only access by 25 ft ladder! Don’t the free standing units also need a window with “slidey things”?

Good point. This bedroom was high off the ground with only access by 25 ft ladder! Don’t the free standing units also need a window with “slidey things”?
They do.... but I cut a 2" hole through the side wall in my bonus room above the garage and routed the vent pipe out and added a dryer vent cover over where it went through the wall with a louver on the end of the pipe.

4 years and no issues, hit it with the bug sprayer on the outside every other month to keep the creepy crawleys out.

Look into a mini split they are way better in my opinion than a window unit and can be setup to do multiple rooms taking some of the load off your central system

Just bought this from Amazon:

BLACK+DECKER 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner with Remote Control, White​

Cost $339 and deliver was free (I have prime). 5 minute set up and it is working like a champ! I only needed it for 1 12x16 room so I know this is overkill but I wanted a quick cool down. Its in a bedroom that gets no AC so when we go to bed at night its 78-88 degrees and this unit will take that room to 70 degrees in less than 30 minutes. I love it.

ReRoute the air from your central H&A System. Do you have a crawl space under your house or are the hoses in the attic? The bunch of silver flex hoses going here, there and yonder? Rooms that don’t get used can have their vents closed. A couple of hoses merged into the hose what goes to your man cave should fix it.

Back
Top Bottom