• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help me pick a powder drop.

BillMe45

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
158   0
Reaction score
So I think I'm going to take advantage of some Black Friday deals and finally upgrade my powder drop. My Lee "Perfect" PD is far from it.

Heres what I'm hoping to find in a single unit...

Bench mounted
Useable with fine powders and stick
Adjustable from 3 to 60+ gr

Thanks yall

This^^^

Not sure which one you are using, but if its the same as mine this charge bar works great and is very repeatable except at the really small loads, depending on the powder. 60 grains IDK but shouldnt be a problem.

https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-Adjustable-Charge-Bar/dp/B00162RPDG 10$

media.midwayusa.com_productimages_880x660_Primary_150_150005.jpg

I swapped my powders to spherical powders and the lee ppm works great,I found that out when swapped my rifle powder from 4064 to ramshot,all my powder problems went away. I swapped my pistol powders from unique to hp38,now everything drops within a tenth a grain.

I swapped my powders to spherical powders and the lee ppm works great,I found that out when swapped my rifle powder from 4064 to ramshot,all my powder problems went away. I swapped my pistol powders from unique to hp38,now everything drops within a tenth a grain.
Yea my biggest problem is with fine flakes like Win 296. It leaks out around the moving parts and binds it up too. Sticks like H4198 can bind it up too...and sticks and flakes are 90% of what I use.

This^^^

Best powder measure that I have used, after the PPM (and mine doesn't leak or bind after breaking in, but feels like crap) is the Hornady L-N-L ($66 at MidwayUSA). Just need to get both rotors (pistol rotor and metering assembly is $29). They may say the rifle rotor will dispense down to 5 gn, but not consistently...
Works great on a bench or press-mounted.

hard to go wrong with the 55. I've got two, one that I've had for over 30 years and who knows how long my dad had it prior to that.

I have a dillon mounted on my 550 but for most powder measuring it's hard to beat the 55 and a beam scale.

I may get a digital one for building some loads where you want to step the powder loads but for cranking out 10-100 rounds, the 55 is the best IMHO without breaking the bank.

Back
Top Bottom