• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help me select a first (only?) supressor

1911Fan

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
21   0
Reaction score
I need some help maximizing my first and maybe only (yeah yeah I know how that goes) suppressor purchase.
I don't have a lot of money to spend on guns and toys, but lately I decided to sell off all my guns that have calibers other than .22LR, 9mm or .223/5.56 to consolidate ammo purchases.

So with proceeds from these sales I'm considering getting a suppressor and this is where I need some help from the more experienced parts of the hive.

There are my potential hosts:
In .22: AR15 CMMG complete upper (16" barrel) as well as a M&P22 Pistol.
In 9mm: I may get a threaded barrel for my M&P9 or maybe getting a threaded Glock 17 or 19.I also have a TNW ASP that I'm planning to have the barrel threaded for and I may SBR it to balance the suppressor.
In .223/5.56: AR15 (16" carbine DI) and who knows if I build a SBR if I have a suppressor for it but that would be in the future.

Now I realize that most suppressors capable of rifle ammo will probable be large/heavy on a pistol save a few pistol cans that are good for 300blk Subs only.

Due to my limited funds to spend on this, this may be my only suppressor (or at least for a long time).
A suppressor that can withstand having the baffles dipped would be desired if possible/affordable.
I would also probably prioritize an quieter suppression of the pistol calibers than the ability to fire .223/5.56 through it.

Last edited:
My budget is not completely set yet as I have seen cans from $299 - $1300 and was hoping to see what the replies where before "making" my budget.

Well you have an idea of how much you want or can spend since you have a "limited" budget. If you're only going to be suppressing those calibers I'd say skip the 5.56 suppressor and a dedicated .22 can and a dedicated 9mm can. Cherokee and QuietRiot offer great prices. Getting something like a TiRant 9 or Octane 9 and a Sparrow or something cheap like a AAC Pilot 2 will yield you much better overall experience than getting a 9mm can and running it on your .22 can guns.

I have a .22 &.308 suppressor. I almost wish I didn't get the rifle one, because I never use it. If you get a reinforce one, you will be happy and use it all the time.

As I mentioned in the original post, I would highly prioritize better suppression of the 9mm and .22 as I find myself not shooting the AR as much as my other guns, other than occasional classes I have taken.

So if I limit my self to 9mm and .22LR...how does the various 9mm suppressors compare, both on 9mm and on .22? Are the suppression performance pretty much the same and other features such as available mounts, weight/materials what sets them apart?

the trick is to get in on one of the buy one get one deals that pop up occasionally, sure its an extra $200 for a tax stamp but you can cover a lot with two.

If you are relegated to one go with the .22lr suppressor as it will probably get shot the most

Back
Top Bottom