• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help me with my friend car, he's a handicap Vietnam Vet's and the car has sat for 5 years, what to do first.

Grub Master

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
102   0
Reaction score
I am trying to help my friend that was a pilot in Vietnam. I brought him home from the hospital yesterday. In addition to cancer he had a stroke last month. His wife is also in a wheelchair and her car hasn't been started for over 5 years. It's time to get it gone. It's a 1999 RAV 4 and probably has less than 40K miles. It will make a great car for some kid. I suggested we change the oil before starting it. Fresh gas with additive. I know it needs a battery and while the tires have plenty of tread they will need to be replaced. Should we do anything else? Also is there a mobile mechanic in Marietta? He's a great guy and is now confined to a wheelchair, probably for the rest of his life.
Thanks

I am trying to help my friend that was a pilot in Vietnam. I brought him home from the hospital yesterday. In addition to cancer he had a stroke last month. His wife is also in a wheelchair and her car hasn't been started for over 5 years. It's time to get it gone. It's a 1999 RAV 4 and probably has less than 40K miles. It will make a great car for some kid. I suggested we change the oil before starting it. Fresh gas with additive. I know it needs a battery and while the tires have plenty of tread they will need to be replaced. Should we do anything else? Also is there a mobile mechanic in Marietta? He's a great guy and is now confined to a wheelchair, probably for the rest of his life.
Thanks

Your Good Friend!

I'm not a mechanic but this is what I do when I have rebuilt a motorcycle before. or delt with older cars that set a while.

before putting gas in it, I would check the tank for rust, will probly need a new o-ring for when opening it, as it usually does not fit back in my experience, you don't want rust stuck in your injectors

if good, then i would do new oil and filter. make sure there is no water in the oil and fresh battery would be needed. I would roll the starter over for a bit before hooking up gas to get stuff moving in the motor and coated in oil, maybe that's too cautionary but works for me.

This would make a great car for my wife. I am a mechanic that has been ‘grounded’ so to speak.
My recent medical issues have put a damper on me doing almost anything mechanical:(….which sux when you have the knowledge and tools but not the body/ability physically .
Anyway….i would check the coolant… also look at the belts and hoses, make sure they arent dryrotted , also go ahead and change filters, air and fuel. Depending how much you want to get into it, or whatever, i would check plugs. On a Rav-4 they are probably pretty easy to change.
When/ If you get it ready, let me know, we probably want to look at it. Her CRV blowed head gasket a few weeks back and she has been looking for something ….small SUV type like her CRV or that RAV 4. She had one of those, liked it a lot.
I cant do much physically but i am great for information and suggestions…..happy to help, no charge (realistic) !!

I asked Some mechanics about how to start a car engine when that car has been sitting for several years unused.
I think what they recommended was taking the spark plugs out pouring some oil or other lubricant into the cylinders themselves, leaving the spark plugs out so that there's no compression. And then turning the engine over (cranking w/o starting). All you're trying to do is get the Pistons moving without forcing them to compress anything.

Another thing the mechanics recommended was disconnecting the fuel line and cranking the car and collecting the old fuel that was sitting in the fuel pump & lines into a jar --not sending it into the carburetor/fuel injectors.

Only when you've cranked it enough so that all the fuel in the fuel line going to the engine is part of this week's fresh refill of the tank *then* you can reconnect the fuel line.

Back
Top Bottom